Monday, December 11, 2006

Ribs is Tasty!







Pretty good photos, eh? We were up at Uncle Matt's and Aunt Erin's place to partake of some baby back ribs from the Caja China, with three of Emma's cousins. We weren't sure what she would be able to eat, so Denny started spooning some of the potatoes into her mouth. Poor cousin Josh was sitting to Emma's right, and lost a rib off of his plate to some good old fashioned sleight of hand, and the next thing we knew, Emma was cleaning every scrap of meat off of that bone. That's my girl! The picture of Denny is of said bone after Emma went on to her next rib. Thanks to Matt for some great ribs.

I figured out why Emma is such a good sleeper. It takes a lot of rest to wear out two adults. As I am writing this, I can hear Emma singing to her mother, who has been lying down trying to get Emma to sleep for the last 25 minutes, from the dark confines of her crib. I was in there momentarily, but it seems that I am something of a comical diversion to her, and she keeps laughing, so I left.

Every night we give her some milk (which she has little interest in), brush her teeth (a two-adult chore while singing "This is the Way We Brush Our Teeth"), say prayers together, and then try putting her down around 9:00 PM. Somewhere between 8:30 and 8:45 she puts on the full-court press, trying everything she can to delay the inevitable. She drags out books, her favorite ball, blocks, the big bear, and even her special empty box for a ride across the room. Denny puts on a CD of children's tunes playing softly (I prefer the soft rock ballads) and Emma goes down for the evening. It's good to get her into a routine. After four weeks back, things is settling in to a nice monotony.

The doctor's office called back after some samples were left, and it seems our little girl picked up some kind of bug that requires medicine to be administered three times a day. Our process for squirting the pink goo into her mouth includes a full nelson with head-lock, while we are both singing the first chorus of "Bad Medicine" by Bon Jovi. It seems to work, because she keeps most of it in her mouth, and she is feeling better. I suppose we could sing "A Spoon Full of Sugar," but I have my limits, besides I don't know all of the words. OK then.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't checked the blog in a while, so I was thrilled to see so many posts and *adorable* photos!! Thanks and keep 'em comin'!

Anonymous said...

P.S. - Just so you don't think all I care about is your oh-so-adorable daughter, I get *such* a kick out of your descriptions and want to thank both of you for bringing us into your days with such humor and warmth. Also, I'm with Emma on her love of ribs. Yum yum.

andrea said...

Good for Emma! Way to go, girl. Too bad antibiotics don't come on a bone that she could chow down on, huh?

Ang said...

We'll have to get Emma and Ethan together for a fine night at Red Bones. (I know they changed the name years ago, but I can't remember to what!) Your posts are so hilarious. Thanks for the fun read.

Anonymous said...

I've been craving BBQ ever since I read this blog. Erin - Could you have the Sweats over some night?
XO
Aunt Barbie

Anonymous said...

Hi to you all! we love getting caught up with your lives with Emma. we miss you lots. we even miss China!!! (can you believe it?) Hope you have a blessed Christmas. Love to all, sheila, john & lydia.