Friday, May 11, 2007

Our 2-Year-Old Cutie








We took Emma to Kiddie Kandids the day after her birthday for her 2-year-old pix. Was hard to get her to stand still and smile for more than a millisecond, so we didn't get many smiley photos, but we think she still looks plenty cute. Aunt Julie got her the delectable jumper.

Emma had her 2-year check-up with the pediatrician this past week. She has gained 3 pounds and grown 2 inches in the last five months (she's now 24 pounds and 35 inches). That's 13th percentile for weight, 75th for height -- a tall and slender young lady. Emma opened every drawer and cupboard in Dr. Havlik's office, multiple times. I spent most of my time heading her off. She got her hands on some little packets of ointment where you have to peel back the wrapping, so she started picking away at it. Dr. Havlik said, "Well, I was going to ask about her fine motor skills but I can see they're very good; I have a hard time opening those myself." Dr. Havlik said she was very "busy." "Busier than most?" I asked. "Well, yes. I'm kind of exhausted watching her."

Emma's language skills are really starting to take off. I told the doctor I thought she could say about 50 words and he said "Five-oh?," kind of surprised. I said, "Well.....maybe 30." But then I went home and started listing all the words she says and got up to 41 in no time. Sometimes I'm the only one who knows what she means, but she's giving it the ol' college try and really doing well. Bright, bright little girl.

She loves "Goodnight Moon." We look at it every night. I never read this when I was a kid and when I first started looking through it, it seemed kind of boring -- same dang picture over and over again. But it really grows on you...it's kind of magical with the moon coming up and the stars getting brighter and the room getting darker. Plus, Emma likes pointing at all the little things in the room...kittens, mittens, comb, brush, bowl full o' mush, little old lady whispering hush, etc. I'm glad she's starting to pay attention to books.

Things are going great. Days are long, but the weeks fly by. Just like on a mission. I feel like I'm on a mission again, actually. Guess I am.
Thanks for checking in!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emma takes all those blank lines and puts them in a little box. Then when everyone else is asleep she takes them out and puts them back in again, and again, and again.
Great pics; especially the last one.
Thanks for sharing.

Eliza2006 said...

How is it possible for her to be SO CUTE?!!! Happy #2, Emma!

Tiffany

Ang said...

Oh, I love the pictures. What a sweet girl. And 50 words considering English is her second language is awesome. She's a smart one! (And a busy one! But aren't the smart ones usually busy??? ) Forrest reminds me of that when it seems like our kids will never sit still. Even Wyatt seems like he's preparing to take off and fly away when I put him on the floor!

Anonymous said...

I love that last picture. So cute! Let me ask Dave about the blank lines and see if he knows.

Thea said...

Emma is darling! I love her beautiful dress and shoes! Please, please, please send our warmest regards to Dr. Havlick. We really liked him and he did so well with Chloe.

much love,

Thea

Anonymous said...

Hey guys!
Emma just keeps getting cuter and cuter! I can't wait to see her again this summer!

"cuz" Carson

Anonymous said...

You should be able to simply press "enter" while typing to create blank lines in between paragraphs. If that doesn't work, you could add the html code for a line break, which is < / p > < p > without the spaces. To insert the html code you need to select the html option at the top of the post you are editing. Then place the code where you want the break.

Anonymous said...

Emma updates - my life is complete - thanks for the beautiful photos. You are now checking off the rites of passage of parenthood one by one, with Kiddie Kandids being one of them. It's rather stressful, don't you think? But the results are stellar! See you soon.
Love,
Aunt Barbie

andrea said...

Studio photos remind me of arts/crafts projects. Right when you're done with them, you're slightly disappointed with the results. But then when you look back at them in a couple of weeks you think, "Hey! That looks pretty good!"

I think the pics look great already, especially the one with her on her tummy.

Thanks for the update!

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Thanks for the advice, Dave. That worked to put the html code in. Don't know why it doesn't work when I do it the old-fashioned way...but this way I feel like a computer programmer. Cool!