Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Out and About with Missy Em

Emma walked through the raindrops during our wet weather a week or so ago. Isn't the raincoat cute? (A gift from Cindy Sweat.)
We went swimming on Memorial Day weekend with Uncle Matt and Aunt Erin and their boys.
Emma helped Mom plant some flowers last weekend. Unfortunately, she also likes to pick them.

Last Saturday we drove up to Brighton to eat our dinner. Emma had a blast in the great out of doors. The mountain fresh air was wonderful.

Haven't posted in a long time....so sorry. Discretionary time is scarce, and it seems we tire easily in our advancing years, but we're having so much fun with our little girl.
* We're trying to teach her how to say "I love you." Emma says "I lah..." We're still waiting on the "vyou," but are happy to hear it however it comes out. She also says "I lah" when she wants to go outside.
* Emma has turned into a persnickety eater. I remember how much she ate in China and can hardly believe she's the same girl.
* She likes playing on the computer. I found the coolest website, http://www.poissonrouge.com/. Has all kinds of nifty games for little kids. So creative and colorful.
* Emma has a good sense of humor. Sometimes we listen to Primary CDs when we're lying down for a nap. One of them has a scratch in it and always gets stuck in the same place. ("Can a little child like me thank the Father fittingly.") It always gets stuck in the next part, "Father, we thank thee." It'll go "Fa-wa-wa-wa-wa," but if you tap on the CD player it'll jump over the scratch and keep going. Anyway, Emma can be almost asleep, but if she hears that song starting she'll sit up and grin at me and can't wait for the skippy part to come. Cackling with mirth, she'll whack the CD player and then say "Gin?" (again), so I start the song over and we do it again...and again. She gets a huge kick out of it.
* When she's finished eating, she'll stand up in her chair, booster seat still strapped on, and start reaching for everyone else's dinner and any drinks, condiments, or utensils she can find. She is compelled to grab, dump, shake, pour, and squish everything within her reach. A great work of civilizing our youngster lies before us. In the meantime, we scoot things farther down the table.
*Emma is a great helper. She helps unload the dishwasher, sweep the floor (she holds the dustpan), do the laundry (I lift her up to put clothes in the washer, and she's good at cleaning off the lint trap in the dryer), and cleaning the mirrors, although she squirts on somewhat more Windex than is really necessary.
*One of her favorite words right now is "Beh," which means "Back," as in "Stand back and let me do it myself." She pushes on my thigh and says "Beh!" and I have to back up a couple of feet so as not to invade her personal space as she performs some task.
*Emma is a charming, smart, independent, loveable little girl.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We agree with everything you say about Emma. Thanks for sharing, and tell her "Iluh" from us.

Anonymous said...

I love hearing stories about what kids are like when they're doing everyday things like eating and helping with laundry. So cute.

Ang said...

I think "Beh!" is a great word. It shows confidence and self-sufficiency. Beh! I can see her saying it as an old woman. Thanks for the update!

andrea said...

Love the pic with the mountains in the back. Beautiful. And you can tell you two have been having fun because you both have dusty knees. :)

Cool kids site that you shared. It looks like it was intended for younger children, but I'm going to show Whit. I think she'd get a kick out of it, too.

And the story about the CD that skips made me LOL. I can just picture her waiting for the broken-record effect.

Thanks for the update!

Anonymous said...

Denny - Thanks for the great pictures and update! Your hilarious story about the skipping CD reminded me of when we were little kids and had the record player at the "funny little house." We had a Disney record that played a song with words something like "I wonder....I wonder, how each little bird has a sweet song..." (I'm making that last part up, but you get the picture). Anyway, it skipped on "I wonder...." and I have fond memories of listening to "I wonder-er-er-er-er-er-er-er-er-er-er-er-er-er. Mom would always give us healthy snacks (a woman ahead of her time) and we'd often have carrot and celery sticks we'd munch on while listening to the record player. I would cut off a little round quarter-size circle of carrot and put it on the arm of the record player and then it wouldn't skip any more.

Thanks for the great blog.
Love,
Aunt Barbie

Anonymous said...

ohmygosh - Barbie, I forgot about the carrot sticks on the arm of the record player. LOL. What I DO remember (and I hope Emma does not follow in my footsteps) is not being able to pronounce my R's. I would pad around the house singing "I wundoo, I wundoo" ("I wonder why each little bird has a someone...incidently....to sing to, sweet things to..." And yes, to imitate the skip it would become "I wundoo - ooo - ooo ....oo - ooo, I wundoo - ooo - oo."

My speech impediment was driven home further by our Bean cousins when we were shipped off for a couple of weeks while mom was having Denies Geritol Influence. I clung to you and if you were out of my sight I would tell all the cousins that I was looking for "Barb", which came out "Bawb" and then cousin Bob would appear on the scene, with large grin and say "Here I am!" I would get annoyed and say more emphatically "Not Bawb, BAWB!!!" They had too much fun toying with me and mmmmmade mmmmuh, muh, muh, mmee what I-I-I-I-I am t-t-t-t-t-today. (OK, that and the constant drilling in the car of "sirloin steaks sizzle on the stove." I still haven't mastered that one.)

Emma! - rrrrr, rrrrrrrrrr, rrrrr. Curl the sides of the tongue. Ask Grandpa Hiatt to give tongue twisters for your S's. (The swan swam over the sea. Swim, swan, swim. The swan swam back again. Well swum, swan.)

Your loving speech impaired Aunt