Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Okay, we are MAJOR blog slackers. It has been one calendar month since we updated. We were indeed having some computer difficulties, as Joe has noted, but still... We are in danger of losing our handful of loyal readers. We have been chastised recently by both my dad and Shawn Stephens in our ward (hey to Shawn) for being poor updaters.

And now on to the Emma photos:


We went to the zoo with some friends a few weeks ago. It was splendid weather, Emma was quite well behaved, and I felt like I was on vacation it was so much fun. Here is Emma striking a pose in front of some feline (leopard? jaguar?)

I like this photo of the kids with their hands planted on the glass, observing the crocodiles (we saw the albino crocodile with the blue eyes -- "Ghost of the Bayou!") Maybe it was an alligator. I called it the wrong name when I was there and the zoo attendant briskly corrected me. (One has a longer, V-shaped snout; the other a shorter, square snout, but I can't remember which one's which anymore.)

We've attended a couple of U of U volleyball games recently. Kathryn Haynie, Andy's wife, is on the team and she is GOOD! We dress Emma in her red sweats, red Utah T-shirt, and white sneakers when we go. She likes to clap and cheer with the crowd. She also boldly approaches anyone close by, known or unknown to her, who has snack items. Sigh. It's kind of a problem.


Joe smoked some ribs recently. Emma's a big fan of the ribs.
We've been to the airport a couple of times lately to watch planes land. We walked along the bike path and the planes roared overhead. Emma mostly enjoyed it until a great big loud one came over and she got this expression on her face.

Today (September 25) is the Moon Festival, second biggest Chinese holiday after Chinese New Year, celebrating the autumnal equinox. We bought four moon cakes, the traditional Moon Festival delicacy, at the Melewa Bakery on 9th South to celebrate. They're filled with kind of a pasty, gelatinous something or other (sweetened bean paste I've heard). Not bad. Emma didn't partake, though.

Emma is really learning a lot of new words lately, stringing words together, chattering, humming a little (something she hasn't done much of until recently). She is a funny, energetic, happy soul. A joy. She'll be two and a half next month and it's almost a year that we've been home with her. The recent change in weather reminds me of getting ready to leave last year...such amazing memories.

Sorry about the long dry spell on the blog, but thanks for being loyal readers and checking in.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU'RE BACK!!
All is once again well with the world.
Thanks for the update and pictures.
Hug Emma and give her a big "I luv...YOU".

Carol said...

I'm so glad you posted. I've missed seeing Emma and reading the tales of life.
Carol Brown

123 said...

She is growing up so fast! She is such a cute little thing!

andrea said...

We were just talking about you the other day because Survivor is in China this season and it made us think of your big trip to China--has it already been a year ago? (Things tend to go by fast when you're 2000 miles away!) Are you guys watching?

Anonymous said...

Even with long spells between blog entries, I keep checking. It's so fun to see Emma growing up. Isn't it funny that she likes Joe's ribs and not the moon cakes. I guess she's in the right home. Although who wouldn't like Joe's ribs?

Ang said...

I think Emma's on the right track, liking Joe's ribs! So fun to see the new pictures.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back..we've been checking your blog. We think our Emily looks a lot like Emma and they are both CUTE as can be!

Anonymous said...

Having a Denny and Joe update is like pumpkin pie with whipped cream - (or ribs, or maybe even moon cake) but whatever it is, it's gooood! That's so cute that you took her to watch planes at the airport. When Dennis and I first got married I remember that all of the extended Sweat family had a bridal shower for someone, and while the women were at the shower, the men all went out to the airport to watch the planes land. This was 36 years ago and they all lived in Heber City and they got a thrill out of watching the show. I too have been thinking of a year ago at this time and the over-arching thrill of it all as we all lived and breathed for your blog updates. It was quite an epoch for everyone involved - thanks for sharing the latest cute photos of darling Emma.
Love,
Aunt Barbie

Julia Warren said...

Denny, at work I have heard mention of the mid-autumn moon festival, and one of our contacts in China even sent us moon pies. Ours had egg yolk centers(!) But it does sound like such a lovely holiday, I imagine gatherings outside with paper lanterns, etc.
So happy to see your blog back in action. I was missing Missy Em!

Anonymous said...

Denny and Joe you know that I live for Blog updates! Thank you for making my life worth living! Haha you guys are great. It's great to see Emma actually holding still long enough to have her picture taken.

Diane said...

It's been a long time since I logged onto your blog, so long in fact that everything on the page is new to me! So good to catch up and see such a grown up Emma!

I understand long dry spells... my Garden Blog is updated very irregularly - but check it out if you have a minute. Lots of love to all of you!