Sunday, January 27, 2008

Snow Snow Snow!

"Snow, I want to wash my hands, my face and hair with snow. Snow, I long to clear a path and lift a spade of snow. Snow, oh, to see a great big man entirely made of snow...." (Two pats on the head for anyone who knows what movie those lyrics are from.)

These pix are a week old, taken last Monday at Sugarhouse Park. Wowzer, what a storm. The snow was so thick and powdery it was tough to make a path through it; hence, downhill speeds were on the leisurely side. Fewer broken bones that way.
But mama still has the "misery in her hip," making getting up a chore.

As you can see, there were not hordes of tobogganers out that day. But it was still fun and we got some good photos.

Emma is doing well. She is such an intense, active, humorous, alert, insistent little soul. She keeps us on our aging toes. She loves her pre-school classes twice a week. She loves being involved in a project, using her hands. She likes to help cook. Emma's talking a lot, so much that sometimes I can't understand what she's saying. Final consonants are a challenge for her and sometimes she'll use an "h" sound for a middle consonant if she can't pronounce the right one....for instance "water" will come out "wa-her". (I was trying to teach her how to say "water" correctly....well, semi-correctly because I was actually saying "wadder" instead of "water" with a 't'...anyway I was saying, "der, der....wa-DER," so she points to the glass of water and says "DER!") Some words and phrases come out great, though. For instance, she can say "barbecue sauce" very well, and at our house that's important. She can also say "I love you," which is delightful to hear. "I love joo." When I tell her she's my pumpkin, that's her cue to say, "I love joo, too." The other day she had an, er, accident on the floor and when I rounded the corner and saw it, I said, "Emma, what happened?" and she looked up and whispered, "I love joo!" (Hard to be very upset...)

We've been yearning for warmer temps lately. January's kinda long and draggy, if you ask me. I wanna play in the park again!

But all is well. We are very blessed. Hope all is well with our loyal band of readers. We'll try not to wait so long between posts next time (riiiight...)



14 comments:

liz said...

Amen to the draggy January. More winter weather coming this week and I'm wishing we could move to San Diego!

Anonymous said...

We love joo, too, Emma
Grandma and Grandpa Hiatt

Anonymous said...

That first picture of Emma & Denny is priceless. Did Emma have fun sledding?

Anonymous said...

Emma is smiling in the snow picture! Amazing. She is such a cutie. I love reading your blog. Our Em drops off final consonants too (or beginning sounds depending on her mood!) Thank goodness you have a record of "I love joo". That is so fun to hear. How could you discipline Emma if she says that?

andrea said...

Isn't it amazing how soon they learn to work their charms? When Whitney thinks she's in trouble, she'll tilt her head and give us her cutest smile. Again, how can you be mad at that???

Anonymous said...

My reputation being at stake, I had to come up with a "two pats on the head" answer to the movie question.
The movie is "White Christmas", with Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, etc.
(But to be honest, I don't remember that number from the movie.)
Old Movie Fan in Sandy.
No, make that a fan of old movies.

Ang said...

It's so fun when they start talking. I think Emma's age is so great--it's like they're learning so fast they change every day. I need to see her again! It's been a while!

Anonymous said...

I have been a Denny and Joe blog-checker slacker! You have a new post and pictures of Emma engulfed in the snow - Glad dad was able to identify the quote! I loved your description of Emma's personality.

P.S.
Curel works well on aging toes.
Love,
Aunt Barbie

LB said...

Don't worry Denny - it was a new post to me. I love the "I love joo" story - we'll have to get together sometime and compare notes.

Sister~Mom said...

EMMA IS SO CUTE

Anonymous said...

Is it possible for snow to be both thick and powdery? Snow cannot serve two masters, surely it must be one or the other.

Anonymous said...

хорошая шляпа
Translation....nice hat!

laurel said...

Such cute pictures! I am waiting to hear I love you. You are so lucky that is in her vocabulary. We are waiting for Spring too! Three cheers for Spring!

Julie said...

Gorgeous snow. Adorable "I love joo" (all is forgiven....)

I recall a relative loaning me a similar hat when we visited for the 2002 Winter Olympics and people calling me Raiza (Gorbachov).

Please tell Emma "I love joo" from Aunt Joo-lie.