Friday, March 14, 2008

The first crocuses of spring....

...were unceremoniously yanked up by their roots by our young missy...
....who didn't appear to have a shred of remorse about it.

I figured as long as they were out of the ground, we might as well get a photo op out of it.

Okay...I've been meaning to document cute things that Emma's been saying lately. She's talking up an absolute storm, but sometimes runs into problems getting her words untangled and out of her mouth. She makes progress every day, though.

- She likes to agree with me by saying, "Yeah! I do!" This works well lots of the time (when I ask, for example, "Do you want a piece of cheese?" "Yeah! I do!") and makes me laugh when I say something like, "Won't it be fun to get your Easter basket?" "Yeah, I do!!"

- Sometimes when we look at alphabet letters I'll say something like, "That's a 'B'. What sound does a 'B' make?" She's so used to hearing me ask her what sound a letter makes that whenever she hears an unfamiliar noise she wants to know what sound it makes (e.g., we heard thunder booming yesterday afternoon and Emma said, "What's that sound make?")

- She likes to talk about what things are edible vs. inedible. She'll see a picture of...a truck. "No eat truck!" she'll say. "No, we certainly don't eat trucks." Then she'll start reciting a list of things we can't eat...her blanket...the chair...her sippy cup....[and moving on to people]....Mama...Aunt Barbie, etc. "No eat Aunt Barbie!" When she sees a picture of something we CAN eat, she then wants to announce whether we have to cook it or not. "Can eat grapes....no cook grapes," she says, making the sign for cook by flipping her palm back and forth on her other hand. One day she saw a picture of a lobster and said, "No eat lahster!" I said, "Yes, you can eat lobster. But you have to cook it first." She seemed fascinated by this. Sometimes out of the blue she'll pipe up with "Can eat lahster!!"

-- She has a hard time saying "watch" and says "cha" instead. When she gets up in the morning and wants to watch cartoons she'll say, "Cha T.V.?" And sometimes she'll say, "Mom! Cha me!" if she's doing something she wants me to see.

-- She also has a hard time with "fall" and says "la" instead. If she falls off her chair she'll say, "Emma la down."

-- She says "yeah, sure, you betcha" sometimes.

She's a delight, even when she does pick the flowers.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Gather ye rosebuds (crocuses) while you may...."
Great pictures; what a smile she has!
We think you should make "Sayings of Emma" a frequent entry on your blog.
Grandma and Grandpa Hiatt

Anonymous said...

Emma is beautiful...even with the crocuses she pulled up. I love to hear Emma's words. Emily is talking a lot like that now. She drops consonants at the beginning and end or words. Sock is os and Seth is Esth. Glad you recorded these Emma sayings!

laurel said...

That is absolutely great! I think the flowers look better in her hand than in the ground anyway. But I know how she feels, I am so excited about Spring, I would probably rip it out of the ground to in glee.

Anonymous said...

too Cute LOL!

Julia Warren said...

Isn't it fascinating, though, that we can eat lahster? Emma is so hilarious and photogenic too! Love the flower pics.

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know I was doing this, but as I was reading the blog I was saying each of Emma's sayings out loud, and when I said "Ma, Cha me" it seemed like "Ma, charming!" and I thought , hey, that was perfect - because Emma is Cha-ming!"

Glad you set things straight that we don't eat Aunt Barbie~if we did, we would have to cook her for a very long time!
Love,
Raw Aunt Barbie

Anonymous said...

That paragraph about what we can eat and can't eat is hilarious! I love learning what's going through their little minds as their vocabulary progresses. It must be very confusing that we can eat the lahster and not eat...the dog, or those freshly picked flowers. And speaking of the flowers, those pictures are adorable.

laurel said...

I can't believe she was 2 months old when abandoned. I couldn't imagine getting that attached to that sweet baby and then giving her up. It would be too hard. I often feel bad for the mother knowing what she is missing in my cute girl. I bet you feel the same. How could the mother not miss Emma's darling smile and eyes.

andrea said...

Thanks for the smiles this morning, Emma! Glad you're able to look on the bright side and take some great pics of your not-meant-to-be-picked-right-now flowers with your adorable girl. :)

liz said...

Those pictures are gorgeous -- should be in a magazine. What a cutie.

Ang said...

Heeeyy, I just tried to post something and then my little hourglass appeared and then a message telling me that it was a "duplicate" message and didn't work. Harmumph! I won't be nearly as witty this time.

But what glorious pictures! She really is a beautiful little girl. And I love the talking stage she's in--it's like every day is a new, fun revelation. You'll be so glad you've got it all written down in the blog.

Peggy said...

I just have NO idea where she learned "you betcha!" Any second she's going to get up from watching TV or reading a book and say, "Okay then." ...and she'll go put a turkey or something in the smoker. ;o)

Kathryn said...

Oh sweet little Emma! We've definitely seen that mischievous smile before...she is so fun! It is too funny to watch her getting into anything and everything she can. We sure love you guys!