Friday, December 19, 2008

It's Beginning to Feel Alot Like Christmas




It must be getting close to Christmas. “How can I tell?” you ask. Well there are a few things that happen every Christmas season. First, I get the urge to buy a new Mercedes, wrap a big red bow around it, and park it in my driveway. Second, even though I have seldom used an electric razor, I start to feel inadequate in the shaving department with my triple-blade cheapie. The third symptom of Christmas is the yearning somewhere in the back of my consciousness for a Chia “something.” It doesn’t really matter which shape or form, I feel the need to grow green things around various troll-like shapes.

I was watching an ad for a diamond store, where they were boasting about their big 25% off everything sale. I happened to be close enough to read the small print that stated “No actual sales may have occurred at the full pre-sale prices.” Nice. They offer 25% off of something that has been marked up 1,000% in the first place, and the discount is fake to begin with. ‘tis the season, eh?

While I am rambling on about it, what is with the ads that started two weeks ago to lure us in for some last minute shopping. Last minute? I haven’t even started, and they want me to wrap it up. You hear claims about how their year will be ruined if the Christmas (holiday) season doesn’t improve. I am still trying to figure out why I should care.

I’m not bitter. In fact, I am having a great time experiencing Christmas with a three year old. It’s great. We watch many of the great Christmas movies together: The Bishop’s Wife (original only, please), Polar Express, Scrooged (“This is one Santa who is going out the front door”), and everybody’s favorite Santa Conquers the Martians (Crow and Tom Servo did this one up right!).

We put the tree up right after Thanksgiving, and Denny has the house decorated up very nicely, so the season has been very lovely this year, despite the constant attempts of Madison Avenue to mess with it. Emma is so fun and excited. I hope you all have as nice a Christmas as we are having, as Andy says, “Keeping it real.” Ok then.



4 comments:

The Oregonians said...

Just don't be surprised if you get inundated with all kinds of Chi pets. The Mr. T. one looks like a hot seller.
Like your style, Joe.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I heard two women at Macy's complaining bitterly about these "sales" they advertise. They ransack their newspaper and then read the fine print that says the sale doesn't apply to....purses, women's wear, women's shoes, cosmetics, all clothing, etc.

We're covered in snow up here in the Pacific NW. It is stunningly beautiful. Everything has come to a standstill.

Merry Christmas and Ch..Ch..Chh.Chia to you all.
Julie

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to Emma and crew!

laurel said...

There is nothing better than a child to put things in the right perspective.