Monday, July 06, 2009

"I Know Everything About Everything"


That's what Emma told me this morning when we were driving around. The other day, when we were also driving around, she looked out the window and said "That's a nimbus cloud." She said she learned about clouds on "Sid the Science Kid" on TV. Today she pointed out more clouds, then claimed to have all knowledge. "I know everything about clouds....and dirt....and tractors....and firemen...and alarms." (And here I thought she didn't know a thing about alarms.)

She's a funny person. Every morning when she wakes up she pretends to be a baby animal. I am mama whatever, she is baby whatever, and we sit and play animal games on the bed for a few minutes. She was baby mouse for a good long time, but she mixes it up now: guinea pig, hedgehog, giraffe, clam. One day she was baby chick and said she had 20 brothers and sisters. "Okay," I said, "what are their names?" I recorded the following names of Emma's chicky siblings:

1. Cute
2. Good
3. Pringles
4. Sprinkles
5. Wally
6. Lamp
7. Windows
8. Picture
9. Chicky Chick
10. Emily
11. Boxhead
12. Nose on your face
13. Nose on your knee
14. Yellow chick
15. Tetopoop
16. Totopoop
17. Eyes Poke
18. Isaac
19. Poop
20. Emma


She's in a poopy talk phase right now, but the more I tell her to not talk poopy talk the more she talks poopy talk, so now I just change the subject.

I saw Lindsay Lohan on the TV recently and muttered something about how cute she was in "The Parent Trap" but that now she's so bad. "Why is she bad?" Emma wanted to know. "Oh, she just does naughty things now." "Like what?? Like...does she yell? And close the door on her mommy and daddy? And talk poopy talk?" Yeah, probably all of those things.

Emma just finished two weeks of kiddy camp at her new preschool. Week 1: "Fun with Fruit." Week 2: "Trains and Planes." Now we have six weeks of unfettered time before school cranks up again.

She took a picture of herself the other day. She could use this as a Facebook photo. Everybody seems to have pictures of half their face these days.

Oh, here's a good one. I generally don't like to post pictures of my arse on the www, but Emma made such perfect little handprints during a baking project the other day. Kinda cute, don't you think? (and black is slimming...)

And here's what we did for FHE tonight: Homemade Play-Doh model of the Oquirrh Mountain Temple, since we're going to the open house next week. Angel Moroni I made by printing out a small black and white picture, coloring it with a gold crayon, and taping it to a toothpick. A triumph!

9 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

Oh, boy, I'm sure we could top you on the poopy talk. Eliza has about 5 faves right now...poop, butt, naked, stupid, shut-up. She also was adding in a frequent spitting or sticking out of the tongue (until I got smart and rewarded her with some hot pepper...funny I haven't seen her tongue since!). This 3 year old phase could wear a lady out!

The Oregonians said...

Just gotta make a comment about the list of her baby chicks.
Windows? XP or the new 7?

Barbralicious said...

Denies - tears of laughter. Thanks for a gem.
XO
Barbie

Mindi said...

My goodness Emma is so cute. It sounds like everyday is an adventure! I love reading your blog!

amy said...

Too funny. I love the name list. And the handprints on the rear couldn't have been so perfectly positioned if you tried.

andrea said...

Oh, Denny. Too, too funny. This one really cracked me up. Thanks for being brave and posting a pic of your backside. And I love Emma's chicky sibling names. Even the potty talk ones.

Amy Brinton said...

My technique has been to tell the kids that we only say "bathroom words" in the bathroom. This worked well for a while, until Zachary cleverly ran into the bathroom one day and broke into a rousing, songful rendition of his favorite forbidden words. Darn.

Oh, and the baby chick names are perfect.

laurel said...

First off - love the handprints on the behind!!!!! That is a mother's life! Okay, your family night was perfect. Such talent. I have always known Emma was a character! Her list and other comments were so funny and just more evidence that I was right!

Julie said...

Ben was into saying "poop" for years. He knew it annoyed me. In fact, I only have not heard him say it since around the time he married Jax. I wish I were being facetious. Must be Jax's refining influence on him. It's just not Gracious Living at the Hiatts kind o' talk.