Sunday, December 13, 2009

It's the Holiday Season

And to prove it, two poses with Santa. The one below was taken at South Towne Mall. We paid a visit to the Hello Kitty store recently (a sacred pilgrimage) and ran into Santa Claus on the way out. Emma had never had her picture taken with him. I try to ignore Santa mostly, but also don't like being completely unsporting, so we shelled out some bucks for a first-time photo. For what we paid I think he should have worn a hat. But he was awfully nice and clasped Emma's hands so sincerely. She was quite taken by him. She asked me if he was the real Santa and I said "Uhhhhh...no. There are lots of people who pretend to be Santas in different stores." (What was I gonna say? Yes?) Anyway, how could he be the real Santa without a hat.

Plus, when she goes to the ward Christmas party a week later and meets THIS Santa (appropriately attired in full regulation regalia), would she not perceive the difference and realize that one of them is a fake?


So here are 11 things I like about Christmastime, and 4 things I don't:

Pros

1. The Carpenters' Christmas album

2. Collecting Christmas cards and taping them to the wall. I even put up the ugly ones we get from the car dealership and Smedley Financial Services. Also the one we got from Governor Gary Herbert with a picture of him, the missus, and a bunch of grandkids. I think we got it because Joe was a caucus chairman earlier this year. I opened it up, saw the picture and thought, "Who ARE these people?" Anyway, I put it up on the wall. Makes it look like we're personal friends.

3. Little bits of light around the house: Christmas tree...Grandmother's nativity scene with a lightbulb over the manger....Christmas village atop the entertainment center.... I like turning Christmas tree lights on early in the morning when it's still dark and the lights look all furry and blurry.

4. Christmas newsletters. The more details the better.

5. Watching midnight mass (from Rome) late Christmas Eve while wrapping presents.

6. Hanging the wreath on the door. Although our wreath is a little too big for our current front door so I took the glass out of the screen door so the wreath wouldn't get smashed by the main door and now we have a screen door, with nothing in it, tastefully framing our too-big wreath.

7. Chocolate covered cherries. We always got them on Christmas morning, along with bottles of Heinz 57, A-1, and...Worcestershire sauce, I think...in our stockings. Don't know how that tradition got started. Joe always remembers to put a bottle of Heinz 57 in my stocking.

8. Anything sung by Andy Williams.

9. Little spurts of gleeful anticipation that overtake me from time to time. Although I've noticed that the spurts are more plentiful in October-November and kind of taper off the closer we actually get to Christmas.

10. New pajamas on Christmas Eve.

11. Gentle Baby Jesus lullabies.

Cons

1. "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree," "Jingle Bell Rock," or any other kind of "rock-y" Christmas song.

2. Also "The Little Drummer Boy." That's one snoozer of a tune. I used to not like "Do You Hear What I Hear," either, which seems to be of the same ilk. But then Joe and I went to a Utah Symphony Christmas concert once and they had these fabulous Broadway-ish singers (a guy and a gal) who sang a "Do You Hear What I Hear" duet, with full orchestral back-up, and it made my neck hair stand on end it was so good, so I've liked it ever since.

3. Joe doesn't like people asking, "Are you ready for Christmas?" (Although I admit to asking this sometimes. It's safe, like the weather. And sometimes I'm curious to know if someone really is ready for Christmas.)

4. Candy canes. Blech.


Sorry to end on a downer, with the cons and all. Christmas!! Ain't it wunnerful!!

May your race to the finish line be glorious.

15 comments:

andrea said...

So was it our song choice that prevented you from voting for us in the dance-off?

Loved this post. At Whitney's request, we waited in a short line to see Santa at the mall and then BOTH Whit and Caroline freaked out, refusing to go near the guy. Emma's brave!

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

By golly, that WAS "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" you danced to. Sounds good when you guys play it. And I was quite impressed by your interpretive talents, might I add! Then I zipped over to Paul and Daneen's and thought, "Wow, these guys are good, too." How to vote...how to vote. And then I apparently got distracted and was saved from making a decision...

Ang said...

I just put up my Christmas card from the BYU SL Center and felt slightly sheepish about it . . . but if you're putting up your Gary Herbert card then I'm okay.

I just realized I haven't taken Wyatt to go see Santa! Poor caboose kid. I keep forgetting these essential childhood activities.

Love your list! And I think the problem with the Little Drummer Boy is it's that SAME tune, over and over and over. Give us a bridge! Or something.

The Gardener said...

You're the second person in two days to use "ilk". It's been years since I've heard it and now twice. Weird. Must be the word of the week. :-)
What's wrong with candy canes? Are they better if they're the fruity kind?
Btw, you ready for Christmas?
I miss teasing you in the halls of church....

The Oregonians said...

Hooray,an update. Thought maybe Emma had run off with the Navajos.
You're right: the REAL Santa always has his hat on. And there's never any soot from the chimney.
Nice to see the 57 sauce being perpetuated; must look into chocolate covered cherries.
Thanks for the likes and dislikes.
Now let's all join in on "I Saw Mama Kissing Santa Claus" ---
Uh-one and uh-two and uh-three...

Amy said...

The song I could do without it "Santa Baby". Let's make Christmas as superficial as possible! I'm also curious if you like the fruity candy canes? My kids are obsessed with them. Emma looks very cute on both fake Santa's laps and I enjoyed your honest response.

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

To Gen and Amy -- I suppose that fruity candy canes are better than peppermint. I'm not a huge peppermint fan. And I don't like the sticky factor and how they kind of splinter and fall apart and little sticky bits get everywhere. Oh the horror.

liz said...

Just hung up a card from my realtor and thought of you. He has very attractive children, at least. Unwanted candy canes make great stirrers for hot cocoa. Unless you really don't like mint, I guess. Loved your lists.

Anonymous said...

OK, you are so funny. I have cards up from our insurance agent and our attorney. How lame is that, but I haven't received very many yet and it looks so bare. I am a little worried that since I haven't sent mine out I am not getting any yet. Does that mean it's the dreaded "let's not send her a card unless she sends us one" scenario? Oh I hope not. Speaking of Jingle Bell Rock, Erin and her friend have choreographed a whole dance to that awful thing and we are looking forward to hearing and seeing it(the dance, I mean) on Christmas Eve. Pass around a little eggnog and you'll have, as my Dad used to say, ultimate urp! The dance will be charming, of course.

Anonymous said...

By the way, that anonymous is me, Mariann.

Anonymous said...

I loved your list. The Carpenters are great...so are the Christmas Tree lights and cards taped to the door. Merry Christmas to your family! Can't believe how much Emma has grown.

Barbie said...

Denies - I have been quoting this blog post all week. Hilarious - one for the ages! And I had to click on the Gardener's link when I saw her "ilk" comment since it made me laugh - and there on her blog was a picture of my neighbors Nate and Heidi! What a world!
Love,
Barbie

Julia Warren said...

Agreed, the Carpenters Christmas album is the best and "Little Dummer Boy" is the worst. My mom hates the line "the ox and lamb kept time" so now that is all I notice and envision when listening to it.

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Now I'll always think of that, too...the ox and lamb clicking their hooves together on beats 2 and 4.

Julie said...

In fact, I got chewed out by the stake music chairman for whispering to my neighbor in stake choir that I haaaated "Little Drummer Boy" and it was so stoooopid, and the ox and lamb (or is it ass) keeping time conjures up such an absurd picture that....it is too much for me. Then she got off on how it was her husband's favorite and how he didn't want to come if they didn't sing it and I had to stop making fun of it. THEN I heard the Portland Mormon Choir do it this year and it was so incredibly well done I backed down on my hatred of it. But still. Tap, tap, little ox. Really, now.