Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Agony and Ecstasy at the Mall


Emma and I went on an outing to South Towne Mall yesterday (and please pronounce that "Towny").

Here's the agony part: THE HELLO KITTY STORE IS GONE! It's vanished. This is a shallow and materialistic tragedy. We used to go to Hello Kitty (Sanrio, I guess it was really called) whenever Emma earned 20 good behavior stickers. She'd pick out a trinket or a pack of overpriced Hello Kitty gum, or once a pen with 10 different colors (very good behavior), and once a necklace with Hello Kitty herself dangling on a pendant (superb behavior).

An AT&T center is in its place, with a big map of the U.S. on the wall showing all the places where AT&T coverage is available. We kept walking back and forth down the concourse, past the big AT&T map, while I muttered, "It's around here somewhere. Gee, it used to just pop right up out of nowhere." Finally, I consulted a mall map. "Sanrio, L17." I orientated myself to the "You Are Here" icon, headed back down the track to L17 and there was that darn AT&T map blazing from the wall again. And then the awful reality struck me. I confirmed the bad news with an employee in a nearby kiosk. "Did that store used to be....Hello Kitty?" (morose nod.)

Oh, so sad! No more explosive plethora of expensive pink merchandise with Hello Kitty's inscrutable feline face staring blankly from every surface. No more H.K. pens and pencils, stickers and stamps, spangle pouches, drawstring bag sets and plush characters. Sayonara to the keyrings, wallets and purses, laptop bags and Iphone charms (Emma could have had one when she was 14 if she'd kept minding her p's and q's).

Goodbye, Hello Kitty.

But our spirits perked up (mine did, at least -- in a shallow and materialistic way) when we visited The Children's Place and discovered they had good-looking back-to-school jeans on sale for $10.00 a pair (regular $16.50). Tried a few on and they fit, oh miracle of miracles (hard to get a good fit with the jeans for Em). So we bought 4 pair, plus a cute little outfit also on sale, plus a new backpack she spied (she needs one to replace her loathsome Dora pack). Then I found out if I opened a charge account I could get 23% off the entire purchase, so open a charge account I did, and got a few more items since I was saving so much.

Emma picked up a little T-shirt she liked off a table and we tried it on in the dressing room. I didn't check the size. It was a little tight, and rather short -- probably needed a size or two bigger. I looked at the tag and it said 6-9 months. No wonder.

After the splurge we got a peach smoothie and rode the little train and discovered that on-sale school clothes almost completely soothe the hurt of no more Hello Kitty store.

Here's a picture of our haul:








13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Emma! Looks like a marvelous shopping trip. Oh there is a great Hello Kitty store in Taipei, Taiwan if you're ever in the neighborhood. We bribed Em with a Hello Kitty watch to ease the transition from princess of the universe to a joint role with her brother.

Barb said...

Thank you for softening the blow of no more Hello Kitty store at Southtown mall! Although I have gone in other directions over the past few years, I still do have a punch card in my wallet and a really cool Hello Kitty clock that I earned with points accumulated through the years. There was something very attractive about all those marginally useful, overpriced, perfectly proportioned little objects. Your account of Emma trying on the slightly smallish 6-9 month shirt is a scream. When I started having grandkids I thought I should buy a little umbrella stroller to have on hand. I spied one at Toys R Us and it was so cheap - like only $10.99. So I bought it! Then Cindy had to break it to me gently that I had purchased a doll stroller. Oh, yeah, it is kinda little now that you mention it....
Happy School clothes shopping!
Love,
Barbie

Kathryn said...

Woohoo! I know shopping always makes me feel better...way to go Denise and Emma!

The Oregonians said...

Your listing of all the things you will miss from "Hello Kitty" sounds like it belongs in the opening number of "The Music Man"...("Cash for the merchandise,
cash for the hardgoods, cash for the bobbins and the ferkins....")
(Maybe it's only me.)

laurel said...

Yea, we went to the mall for Hello Kitty and a pretzel about a month ago. We were so upset too! I think we had to grieve over an extra cheese sauce for our pretzel.

Anonymous said...

I'm in my office laughing WAY TOO LOUD. What a wonderful read. What a joy to "watch" you parent, Denny. I love you. Smooch on Miss Emma for me.

-Sher-

Julia Warren said...

Ahh, there is nothing like a good bargain shop. I sure miss shopping for school clothes. It is such a marvelous and magical pastime: the new clothes smell, carefully laying them out on the floor or the bed, coming up with outfits, etc. Love it all.

Julie said...

Denny, this is just too hilarious. I think my favorite part is the (morose nod). Getting new school clothes for oneself or one's offspring is such a thrill.

I belly laughed about the 6 -9 mo. old top and read it out loud to Tom.

"Look, whaddya talk, whaddya talk, whaddya talk,....where'd you get it?...whaddya talk.." ...unfortunately no longer at Hello Kitty. Julia used to have Hello Kitty sheets. The gall of AT&T! It's like The Dumb Laundry replacing the penny candy store in La Grande.

amy said...

We have a Children's Place outlet right by us and I love it! So many good deals.

The 6-9 month shirt story is classic! I remember my mom buying the doll stroller too. (-:

Nate said...

We sure missed you at Liberty Park last week. I tried to send you an email invite. Hope it came through:)

Anonymous said...

Oh Denny, yes, I tried to send an email twice. Please email me at npassey@q.com so I can put the correct email in my contact list:)

Tiffany said...

Denny,
I just saw your comment on Nate's blog. I'm so bummed you didn't get her e-mail. I was wondering where you were...just figured you were busy. I always look forward to seeing you. Maybe we could meet up sometime? I've missed you at Laurel's and now Liberty Park! Darn!
Good luck with the beginning of the school year! It's going to be bittersweet for us. Sweet for Eliza and bitter for Sol...and a little of both for me!

Anonymous said...

Great post, I am almost 100% in agreement with you