Monday, September 27, 2010

Wir lieben Oktoberfest


Hasn't the weather been heartrendingly gorgeous the last little while? September is my favorite month (it's so mild, colorful, nostalgic, hazy), but it whizzes by in a nanosecond. Sometimes you have to stop and grab it. On Saturday morning we thought it would be fun to drive up to Snowbird -- quaff some early autumn mountain air and take Emma for a tram ride. Seize September! When we got to the parking lot we saw 50 trillion cars. Oh yeah....Oktoberfest. Oktoberfest!! Well whoop-de-doodley-do, this ought to be fun. And it was -- SO MUCH FUN!

First...behold the stunning vistas.







I mean..really. This is just jaw-droppingly magnificent, worldclass outdoorsiness. And it's only about a half hour away.

So we rode the tram up to the tippy top of whatever mountain it goes to. I'm usually averse to dangling high up in the air in a conveyance. But this tram seems sturdier than most. Plus, I couldn't recall ever hearing about a Snowbird tram plunging accidentally to the ground (and my abject condolences to all those involved if it has), so I rode it (twice!) virtually qualm-free.

I think the last time I rode the Snowbird tram was in 1995, with Joe. We'd been dating about a month. We rode it to the top then thought it might be "fun" to hike down. It took about four hours as I recall...four hours of pleasant chit-chat and increasingly barking dogs. We could hardly move the next day. That's us, 15 years ago this month.




I told Joe (on the second ride up on Saturday) that little did we know in 1995 that in 2010 we'd be riding the tram with our 5-year-old daughter....



After we rode the tram, we went to the big white tent where the Polkatonics were playing and Yo-Yo Man was yo-yo-ing. We stood in line for food. (Mostly Joe stood in line. Emma and I watched a bunch of kids play musical chairs up near the stage, supervised by a no-nonsense fellow in green lederhosen. Emma declined to participate, perhaps freaked out by lederhosen guy.) The food was stick-to-your ribs German fare: Brats (mmmm, with spicy horseradishy mustard), sauerkraut, German potato salad, red cabbage, potato pancakes with sour cream or applesauce, or both. Washed down with Sprite.

After lunch Emma stood in line for a half hour to do bungy trampoline. You had to be at least 30 pounds. I think Emma weighed in at about 38, with clothes.

The nice lady told her that her bungy number was "40" (they round up on the weight) and to be SURE to remember it so she could tell the other nice lady in charge of hooking her up. Don't forget! Your bungy number is 40! So Emma stood and waited and I looked over at her every once in awhile and could see her whispering "Forty....forty....forty" to herself.

Here she is fretting about forgetting "forty."

But then it was her turn and she got strapped in and was on her way.


She even tried a few flips.



Then Emma and Baba decided to ride the Peruvian chair lift, but that particular high-up conveyance is beyond my abilities to enjoy. Call me a fraidy cat. (Emma certainly did..."Fraidy cat! Fraidy cat!") So I sat blissfully in the sun on a bench for half an hour and watched Oktoberfesters go by.

And Baba took a picture of the view from the top:

It was a really really fun day. I want to go to Oktoberfest every year now.

8 comments:

andrea said...

LOVE it. The leiderhosen, the pic from 15 years ago, and especially the shot of Joe's and Emma's feet at the end. :)

laurel said...

HOw fun! I am with you, on the tram ride...I am a self-proclaimed scaredy cat!

You have inspired me. I am going to have more fun with Sept. For me, it is usaully all about canning. You have showed there is more to it. Next year, I will find your joy.

Nate said...

Oktoberfest sounds like a lot of fun...lederhosen and all. Life does funny things sometimes. You probably wouldn't have imagined bringing your five-year-old back with you 15 years later:) PS Great photo of the two of you!

The Oregonians said...

This is a blog to end all blogs.
What a delight. We want to print off all the pictures. (Well, ALMOST all.)

Looking forward to next year's report of the three of you
climbing to the top and riding down.

Thanks for sharing.

Barb said...

These pictures and your narrative make me want to grab my purse, sign out as "Gone Septembering" and replicate everything you did! How awesome.
Aunt Barbie

The Gardener said...

I love the idea of Oktoberfest. Although, I can't stand the food. How is it I married an Austrian?

Anonymous said...

I had no idea we even HAD an Oktoberfest celebration in these parts. Enjoyed the post. -Sher-

Julie said...

Oh, I'd not be averse atall to dangling from either of those conveyances. Emma inherited her love of heights from her Aunt Julie ;-) Beautiful rockies!