Friday, November 23, 2007

Ain't Leftovers Wunnerful?


Happy Thanksgiving weekend to our peeps everywhere. We had a loverly holiday yesterday. Joe cooked up a moist and delicious 20-pound turkey and made cornbread stuffing. I expertly opened a variety of cans and heated things up. Grandma & Grandpa Hiatt, Janie, and nephew Jonathan joined us for dinner. Jon brought us a key lime pie to enjoy along with the pumpkin. That's a nice taste combo! Grandma & Grandpa stayed overnight and Emma got up in the middle of the night and wandered downstairs in search of them...not wanting the fun to end, apparently. (We heard a plaintive "PA!!" -- what she calls Grandpa -- wafting up from the depths of the house as we lay asleep.)

Today we're putting up the tree, listening to the Carpenters' Christmas album (the pinnacle of all Christmas music) and eating the odd green olive and turkey fragment.

In other Emma news: She now only wears two shirts (willingly), the pink one pictured above and its light green twin. I wash one or the other almost daily, and sometimes we turn them around to get a different, non-stained view. She's got a million darling outfits that she's just now growing into but thumbs her little nose at all but these two summery shirts. (I tried to coerce her into wearing some cute black velvet overalls over a pink turtleneck yesterday. I asked her if she'd wear her new outfit and she retorted "No ow-fih!" A pox on outfits.)

She also likes to wear an extragavant pink dress with a fluffy skirt covered with netting given to her by a lovely lady in our ward. She saw a tutu-wearing ballerina on BYU's World of Dance program recently and dashed into her bedroom to don "the dress," then began spinning across the living room floor. "The dress" is now the apparel of choice for Sunday.

One of Emma's favorite phrases is "happy choo choo." I don't know where it came from. A few months ago she started saying "happy happy choo choo," then it dwindled to just "happy choo choo," and now it is applied solely to birthdays and birthday cakes (as in "I hope you have a very happy choo choo birthday and eat a lot of happy choo choo birthday cake"). Next week is Grandpa's happy choo choo birthday, which I'm sure Emma will enjoy, and I told her that Christmas is Jesus' happy choo choo birthday. I think she understood. We're looking forward to the next five weeks of festivities and hope you and yours enjoy a very happy choo choo Christmas season.

7 comments:

andrea said...

I don't know if our families can ever spend Thanksgiving together. It looks like Brandon and Emma would have a wrestling match over the drumstick!

Sounds like you guys had a fun one. Miss you!

Ang said...

Happy Choo Choo Thanksgiving!! I love that phrase. I think we should all use it--so fun to say!!

Anonymous said...

"Chatanooga choo choo
won't you choo choo me home...."

Anonymous said...

My staffers in Utah tell me you have a beautiful daughter and enjoyed the Thanksgiving holiday. In all due respect, I believe Miss Emma meant chew chew Thanksgiving...encouraging us all to throughly chew our food this holiday.

Anonymous said...

Emma is almost as big as the turkey leg she is holding in the picture. I loved the commentary about no ow fih! Wow, they come with their own personalities. I had dreams of dressing Emily in so many cute outfits. Yeah right! Emma is very cute! I love to read your blog.

Anonymous said...

Wow - You know how to do Thanksgiving up right - you had folks from age 2-82 with plenty of other ages to fill in the gaps - that's the best way to do it! The picture of Emma with the turkey leg almost looks like it could be a Baskin-Robbins ice cream cone....mmmmmmmmmm, turkey/praline and cream!
Love,
Aunt Barbie

Anonymous said...

Hey, you want "chew chew" you gotta give me "chew chew", not "choo choo".