Thursday, July 31, 2008

53 Things About Joey

1. He’s 53 Friday (born on August 1, 1955).
2. This makes him a Leo (generous, independent, warm-spirited and loyal). Oh wait, we don’t believe in astrology. But he’s still all those things.
3. For years Joe was the middle child sandwiched among 4 sisters (Robyn-Susan-Joe-Carolee-Laurie).
4. Then when Joe was 13 his mom had twin boys, Mike and Matt.

5. Joe likes airplanes, the weather, TV shows about World War II (“Wings of the Luftwaffe!”), and movies with John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, and/or explosions.
6. He hates the group Blue Oyster Cult (“Don’t Fear the Reaper…” AAGH!)
7. He also hates the group “Heart."
8. Joey’s a very good cook. He’s a master of the Big Green Egg.


9. On our first date I was telling him how I rode the bus for several months after my mission because I didn’t have a car yet and I said, “It’s hard to be spontaneous when you have to take the bus.” He said, “Well you can be, just at 20-minute intervals.” (I thought,”Hey, this guy’s kinda funny.”)
10. He graduated from Highland High School in 1973 (“Ramble!”).
11. He lovingly smokes pork shoulder 16 hours to make pulled pork.
12. He’s very punctual.
13. He went on a mission to Uruguay/Paraguay. His brother Matt went to the same mission (minus the Paraguay by then). They now address each other as “Hermano.”
14. One of his favorite movies is “The Blues-Brothers.” When it first came out in 1980 he went to it once a week for two months.
15. Joe broke his nose twice in jr. high/high school (once playing basketball, once wrestling).
16. Another yummy thing he makes: Hedgehog, a splendid meatloaf made of beef, pork, and veal, criss-crossed with bacon strips and rosemary sprigs. Joe got this recipe from that old cooking show “Two Fat Ladies.”
17. Another favorite movie: “Blazing Saddles” (“Give the governor a harrumph!”) “Harumph” is a common Joey expletive.
18. When Napster first came on the scene and wasn’t yet entirely illegal, Joe probably downloaded, like, 1,000 songs. He spent HOURS downloading his favorite tunes. I was a Napster widow.
19. Once when we were watching the Miss USA pageant I wondered aloud what the judging criteria were for the evening gown competition. “No gravy stains,” Joe said.
20. Yummy thing #3: Egg salad sandwiches, made late Sunday evening.
21. He used to sneak out of his bedroom window at night in the summer when he was a teenager and go to the 7-11 for an Orange Mac soda.
22. Joe’s been on three Alaska fishing trips with his dad and brothers/brothers-in-law. He caught great big halibuts and brought home frozen fillets that we ate for months.


23. Joe has visited 31 countries and 42 states.
24. He’s a San Francisco Giants fan.
25. He likes reading the Sunday obits and calling his sister Boo Boo to report on any that he finds unusual/amusing (like the one about the guy who was a blackbelt in karate and died doing what he loved most, “participating in the marital arts”).
26. Yummy thing #4: Breakfast burritos (flour tortillas with shredded potatoes, scrambled eggs, bacon and cheese.)
27. Once, very early in our dating days, we were driving somewhere in Davis County and I saw the exit sign for Willard Bay. “Willard” made me think of the movie “Ben” (about the rat) – because of course “Ben” was the sequel to “Willard.” So in my head I start humming the theme song for “Ben.” (“Ben, the two of us need look no more,” etc.) When I get to the part that starts going up high, Joe starts whistling “Ben” at the exact same spot I was at in my head, in the same key no less. I thought it was an eerily comical coincidence and proof that we should, you know, get married.

28. He’s a big tipper.
29. Another favorite movie: “Young Frankenstein” (“I suggest you put on a tie!”)
30. Joe's a good photographer. And he always volunteers to take families’ photos if we’re out somewhere and notices that somebody can’t be in the picture because they’re taking it.

31. When we were dating, he took me to Chicago to see the Monet exhibit at the Chicago Art Institute. Sighhh. Fun date.
32. Yummy thing #5: Homemade barbecue sauce (with brown sugar, molasses, white wine vinegar, allspice, chili powder, and probably many secret ingredients).
33. Joe loves the blues and listens to the likes of Jimmy Thackery, Clarence Gatemouth Brown, Koko Taylor, and The Uppity Blues Women.
34. He also likes his CD of “Mozart French Horn Fragments”
35. We visited Antelope Island once. We stood and gazed at the buffalo, all of whom seemed to be frozen into position. I said, “Look; NONE of them are moving.” He said, “Well, they don’t have another show until 4:30…” Where does he come up with these things?
36. He likes watching “The Music Man” in the winter because it reminds him of summer.
37. His favorite comics are “Get Fuzzy” and “Zits.”
38. Another favorite movie: “Ghostbusters” (“That’s a big twinkie.”)
39. Joe used to keep a porcelain pig from Mexico in his office at work. Our nephew Hunter was visiting once and accidentally tipped it over and piggy broke. Joe calls Hunter “Porkchop” now.

40. Joey likes to sip mason jars of ice water, with lemon, in the evening.
41. We don’t normally frequent R-rated movies. Years ago an R movie came out that Joe wanted to see (I think it was “Cradle Will Rock”), so he cut out the PG-13 label from another movie and carefully glued it over the “R’” label for the one he wanted to see, then refolded the paper and put it back in the plastic bag. And then he didn’t say anything about it…I just happened to notice that “Cradle Will Rock” was rated PG-13 and I thought for sure it had been rated R when I saw the ad on T.V. And then I looked realllly close….
42. He’s a good storyteller (see preceding blogpost).
43. Jane Fonda bugs him.
44. Another favorite movie: “Caddyshack” (“So I got that goin’ for me…which is nice.”)
45. Once on Valentine’s Day he sent a group of singers to my office to serenade me.
46. Yummy thing #6: Brussels sprouts cooked with bacon and garlic. No really, they’re good.
47. Joe knows how to fix most things.
48. He doesn't get mad very often. Even when I once backed into our neighbor's fence and ripped out 10 or so feet of it and let their dog loose, all he said when I told him was "Whadja do that for?"
49. He answers to Joe, Joseph, Joey, Jose, Pop, Papa Joe, Baba, and sweetie-pie.
50. Yummy thing #7: Homemade peppermint ice cream.
51. Beverage of choice? Caffeine-free Diet Coke with vanilla.
52. He played the trombone in 5th grade.
53. He is richly deserving of a happy 53rd birthday, so please come out of lurkdom and send a howdy-do his way.




22 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

Happy, happy birthday!!! It was fun reading this!

Tiffany

Eliza2006 said...

Oh, and, do you ever go to Shivers for your CF diet coke with vanilla? YUMMY!!!

Tiffany

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Joe! That was fun to read all those things about you. Dave wants to make one of our Utah trips be about cooking rather than visiting family and have you and Forrest teach him all the great ways to cook meat.

Ang said...

Forrest owes his expertise with smoked meat entirely to Joe, as Joe was his smoked meat mentor. Loved reading this, Denny! Made me laugh out loud. And I think Joe loaned a Clarence Gatemouth Brown CD to Forrest, too . . . What a guy.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Joe! I loved the list as I recognized many of them from personal experience. My own list would include ice fishing at Strawberry (quite possibly the last time that Joe fished), Maverick runs, pizza lunches at Costco, Friday lunches at Elmer's or Red Bones, and MST 3000 (I'm a nuclear physicist. Whoopdee freaking doo.)
Forrest

Sister~Mom said...

Happy 53rd Birthday Joe!! You are such a nice and funny guy, and a fabulous cook! Have a great day!

The Jennings Family

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Joe, Joey, Baba...etc! He sounds like a great guy! The recipes sound yummy..if I could only cook like that. Hey, a few China Moms and kids are getting together at Liberty Park next Monday, August 11 around 10:30 at the play area. If you want to come we would love to see you and Emma:)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you Joe! So many things I could to add to Denny's list but here are two: Joe once got his hands on my cell phone and without my noticing, made it so the name "Barbraliscious" is permanently on the screen. I will never change it. Also, I'll never forget Joe making up something about the story of dad's life and intoning.... "the part of Richard Hiatt will be played by Morgan Freeman...." What a cool guy and Denny that was a wonderful list you put together!
Happy Birthday, you youngsters!
Barbraliscious

Anonymous said...

A great big happy 53rd to a great guy, who has made our daughter very happy. Your favorite movie list is, to say the least, eclectic. (Did you guys like "The Cradle Will Rock"?) We can personally attest to Joe's culinary skills and have long appreciated his off-the-wall comments.
Just to set the record straight, #1 daughter, it wasn't Morgan Freeman whom Joe would cast as me in the movie, it was Danny
Glover.
Grandpa Hiatt
(And Grandma, too)

Anonymous said...

Well done Denise! I couldn't tell you 53 things about myself so I am most impressed. I too have Young Frankenstein in my top 5 movies - I wish Erin could catch the vision of this great film!

Feliz Cumpleanos Hermano!

Matt

Anonymous said...

This will make all of you go back and read the blog again:
Is there any relationship between
#52 and #36?

Thea said...

Happy Birthday Joe!! What a good idea to post an interesting Joey fact for each year of his life... very clever. Emma looks happy and busy - what a great life!!

Love to all of you!
Thea

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Joe!! Harumph! Harumph! I love that movie!!!! Hope you had a great day... Since I've been 53 since November, I can tell you it's a great age. Enjoy.
Great list, Denny.

Theresa Wilson Green

Anonymous said...

Dad - While I was trying to think of who Joe had picked to play you, I was afraid I'd remembered it wrong - I remembered it was an elegant black actor - and Morgan Freeman was on my mind because of the Olympics commercials - so I just gave it a shot - thanks for setting the record straight :)
Barbie

Chris said...

Happy Birthday Joe!! I was smiling all through this post...and now I want to eat something wrapped in bacon.
Julia

Anonymous said...

That was a great and amazing post! I learned more about Joe in that list than I ever would have learned otherwise (since I haven't met him and see you all too infrequently). I look forward to meeting this man who has brought so much joy to your life.

Sher

laurel said...

Happy B-day!!!! What a terrific guy.

Peggy said...

Happy birthday, Joe!! I'm saying this once and I'll deny having ever said it--You're really the best and I miss you terribly!

andrea said...

Happy Happy Birthday, Joe dear. And thanks for the informative and entertaining list of 53, Denny. Loved it!

LB said...

OK - so I know this is about 2 weeks belated but I'm posting it anyway. Here are a couple things that make me laugh about Joe (in addition to the 53 I just read) - how he would almost always peek his head in the piano room and say, "I don't want to interupt 'the lesson' but..." I also love how much he LOVED Pride and Prejudice when you borrowed it from me ;) and how he LOVED that duet that you and I played together - and yes - sarcasm was intended on those last two. I have always looked at you two as the 'perfect couple' and I still do. You guys are awesome. Hope Joe's 53rd was fabulous. AND - what is the surgery for??? AND - we can STILL get the younguns together right?
AND - JOE - what's the point of soda if there's no caffeine in it???

laurel said...

I will email those pix. My hubby is out of town and I am not sure how to get them to my email. He will be home Sundya night.

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a marvelous birthday, you most deserving marvelous brother-in-law. Thank you for always taking such good care of us when our family comes to visit.
Sister Julie