Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My Daughter is a Mouse


At some point a few months ago, Emma became "Baby Mouse." Maybe it was after we read "Guess How Much I Love You," a book wherein a mommy and baby mouse contend to see who loves the other more [oh wait, it's bunnies in that book; but we've got some other book with moomy/baby mice]. Maybe it was from watching "Imagination Movers," which features a character named Warehouse Mouse. Whatever the source...Emma wants to be a mouse. She lies on her back and waggles her "paws" in the air. Her preferred game is "Find Baby Mouse" (in which she hides in the same place every time, next to the piano). A typical conversation with my young rodent goes like this:

"Emma, would you like a drink?"

"Baby Mouse!" (meaning, "Kindly refer to me by my correct name").

"Baby Mouse, would you like a drink?"

"Squeak!" (she doesn't make a squeak noise, but says the actual word)

"Would you like milk or apple juice?"

"Squeak!"

"Milk?"

"Squeak!"

She also coaches me in dialogue throughout the day. "Mama, throw Baby Mouse the ball and then say, 'Good catch, Baby Mouse' Say that!" (If I had a nickel for every time she's said "Say that!".....)

When I ask her what her name is, she says, 'Emma Claire Jiayan [last name] CJ Young Mouse" (she likes to say "CJ" because of her two middle names).

We love our funny little mouse.

13 comments:

Amy Brinton said...

It's amazing to me how long these young children can remain in their imaginary roles! Your mouse seems gentle enough, though. I trust there's no gnawing through walls or scaring the neighborhood children?

laurel said...

That is so funny! What an imagination. It also makes me feel better. We live with Maylin either being a cat or a baby. We have conversations like that only involveing what a cat or baby would do. I was wondering if there was a problem, now I know it is normal play for that age. The get together was a Davis COunty groups FCC, that we got invited too. I want to do one here at my home this spring. I will let you know when!!!

Ang said...

Elise was a horse for years. I had to tell her to cut down on the neighing at recess so she didn't freak out the other children. And you can ask my mom how long Amy was a cat. Emma's the cutest mouse ever!

Fleeting_Thoughts said...

We love Imagination Movers at our house, too. Charlie has an imaginary mouse hole in his room where his pet mouse lives. It's smaller than a penny, though, so obviously I haven't seen it. :)

ebudd said...

Sorry, that last comment was from me - I was logged in as my husband, though. Whoops!

The Oregonians said...

Grandfather & Grandmother Mouse love the picture.
According to a totally unreliable source (Google) I found that 2005 on the Chinese calendar was the year of the Rooster. People born during the year of the Rooster are early risers, industrious, proud, single-purposed, quick, upright, alert, precise, direct, like to express themselves in speech, writing or music. Some noted people born during a Year of the Rooster include Rudyard Kipling, Caruso (the tenor, not the TV guy), Groucho Marx, and Peter Ustinov.
Sorry; the Chinese calendar does not include a "Year of the Mouse".

The Oregonians said...

PS:
Mommy Mouse: Year of the Pig
Aunt Barb: Year of the Dragon
Aunt Julie: Year of the Horse
Grandma: Year of the Snake
(along with Darwin, Lincolln)
Grandpa: Year of the Rat. (Oh, great) (Along with Shakespeare, Churchill, George Washington and Mozart. Quite a Rat Pack)

Anonymous said...

Long Live the Young Mouse! When Amy went 3 years old and went through her cat phase I used to put a bowl of milk on the kitchen floor and she'd lap it up. I thought it was funny, but 3 were a bit concerned/mortified because they were not 3, they were 10, 11 and 13, which breeds mortification!
Thanks for the update - loved it!
Love,
Barbie

Eliza2006 said...

She sure is a cute little mouse!

Tiffany

Kathryn said...

What a sweet creative girl our Emma is! We miss seeing you guys every week now that Andy is busy until later! We'll have to figure out another night for us to come visit you guys soon!

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed lunch with you and Emma today. She is my all time favorite little mouse.

Anonymous said...

Emma is indeed a cute mouse! I love her mouse conversations. What an imagination! We missed you at the CNY play date on Monday. Hopefully we can meet at another one!

Anonymous said...

Wait, I thought Amy was also a mouse! Remember when you guys called her "mouse?" because she was so tiny? And Barbie let Amy have a bit of cheese right out of the big block of it, which made it look rather like a mouse had nibbled on it. Then she put it back in the fridge. Then hungry Dennis came along to eat some cheese. During this time period there was an actual mouse living in their kitchen and Barb and Dennis would see it come out at night and wanted to get rid of it. Soooo....when Dennis saw this gnawed chunk taken out of the cheese block he said "Hon, who ate the cheese?" "The Mouse ate the cheese." "The Mouse!!?? How did the mouse eat the cheese?" "I fed it to her." (Visions of Barbie taken compassion on the starving rodent in their kitchen, bending over and letting it gnaw away.) I remember when mom and dad told me that story. I laughed myself weak.