Sunday, February 14, 2010

Leap into the Year of the Tiger



Tell me...are you sensitive, given to deep thinking, capable of great love? Bold and adventurous? Bestowed with initiative and charm? Perhaps you're extremely short-tempered or come into conflict with older people or those in authority (like Woody Allen in Annie Hall when he tears up his traffic ticket in front of a policeman and says, "I have a terrific problem with authority.") If so...according to the obscure website from which I gleaned this information...you may have been born in the YEAR OF THE TIGER! Were you born in 1926, 1938, 1950, 1962, 1974, 1986, 1998, or 2010? (If you say 2010, I'll be impressed.) Am I starting to sound like a placemat at a Chinese diner? If you were born in one of those auspicious years, indeed you ARE a TIGER!

It's Chinese New Year today. Xin Nian Yu Kuai! Last year was the year of the Ox. Next year's the Rabbit. Emma's a rooster, I'm a boar, and Joe's a sheep. Apparently some animals get along better than others. Happily, boars and sheeps mesh well. According to another obscure website, boars and sheep have "a good comprehension of each other. Will relate very well in marriage or partnership. A compatible match." A better match than, for example, the boar and the snake, which yield "deep animosities and lasting conflicts." Whew. Safely matched.

We dined tonight at the home of our dear old friends Kris and Michelle. I'd been pining lately to see them...it's been some time. I was also lamenting (a couple days ago) that I had nothing especially festive planned for the New Year. Then Kris invited us over for CHINESE NEW YEAR and two laments were solved! It was so much fun. K&M have a Chinese student living with them and he and another Chinese friend made delicious native dishes for us, including tender potsticker dumplings that were oh so very scrumptious. Below is a picture of ShiZhang (also known as "Poem," which is what Shi means in Mandarin) and LiQin (also known as Lizzie). Poem is getting his master's in parks, recreation and tourism at the U, and Lizzy is working on her doctorate in biomedical informatics. They were so fun to talk to and took an interest in Emma.


Emma wore her finery to church today to celebrate New Year's/Valentine's.

And last Sunday Emma celebrated her 4th Super Bowl rib fest at Uncle Matt and Aunt Erin's. Here's the new rundown of rib-eating photos, from 2007 to 2010. Last week's fest was the first year Emma hasn't been in a booster seat...so even though her 2010 head is at the 2009 level against the chair, that's a sans-booster level. If you follow...


Hope your new year is tigerrific!

10 comments:

The Oregonians said...

Great entry. The boar and the sheep must really be compatible because it wasn't until you started mentioning names that I was sure which of you was writing.

Keep up the ribs picture taking; great to see how Emma just keeps getting more enchanting.

GO TIGERS! (LHS)

The Gardener said...

I can't believe we weren't invited! Roland will be heartbroken. Glad you had fun with K&M. :-)

Ang said...

Love the rib pics! And Emma's red dress is glorious.

Barb said...

I am pausing mid-read, to post a comment because I got to the part about "sounding like a place mat in a Chinese restaurant" and Lol-ed and decided I had to stop and comment before I finished enjoying the rest of this juicy post. When I heard on the news that this was the year of the Tiger I thought how lucky those who were born under that animal were - since so many of the other animals seem like snakes and pigs and other things that aren't half as noble!
Well, I have to get back to reading!
XO
Barbie

Tiffany said...

Love the ribs through the years! Emma is beautiful and somehow is even more beautiful as time goes on. It was really great seeing you today!

Circe said...

I had so much fun today at the CNY party, I had to stop by your blog and say thanks for coming! It was fun to see you and Emma and get to know you a little bit better. See you next time!

laurel said...

She has grown so much! That rib she is eating is almost as big as her head. I love her spunk.

Happy CNY. It was great to see you.

andrea said...

Lucky Andrew is a Tiger. I'm a snake. According to the website I checked, we are neither compatible nor incompatible. Huh. :)

Love Emma's dress!

Anonymous said...

So fun to see you last week. Emma looks adorable in her CNY dress:)

Julie said...

I think one of the best traditions around is the Emma eating ribs annual photo. Emma gets more beautiful with every passing year, it seems. That oriental dress looks grrrrrrr-reat! on her!
LHS Tiger (alum)