Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Juror Number 18 You are Dismissed

Blind Justice Lady

I had the civil duty/opportunity to be on jury duty this week. You talk about your interesting experience. There were fifty of us that made up the jury pool (yes, it was the shallow end of the pool). We all showed up early on a Monday morning ready to face the new week, and all of the challenges ahead!

The first thing we did was wait. For about 1/2 hour. We were then shown a VHS tape on the joy of being a juror. I'm not saying the film was old, but the building they filmed it in was torn down in the late 80's. The only thing that would have been better would have been if they had interviewed Judge Ritter (perhaps a little too inside).

After the film, we were given a break. Then we came back to some snacks. Water, Peach Mango juice, and some of those Quaker Oats chewy granola bars. See the basket being passed around below:
Sorry about the fuzzy image, but I sensed that I would have polluted the whole pool if anybody got a whiff that they were going to be blogged about, complete with pictures.

Turns out that I was juror 18, and that after all of the preliminary legal culling, one of 25 contestants. The need was for four jurors, so I felt my odds were pretty good to get out by noon. The case before us was about some old scruffy looking guy in a new shirt who had been pulled over for DUI, but apparently wasn't behind the wheel when the cops approached. Must have been some shenanigans going on between the time they lit him up and had the window rolled down. Although he looked to be no stranger to a bottle, we were advised that looks have no bearing on the case.

All twenty five of us were questioned on our views of driving impaired, if we ourselves had ever been pulled over for DUI (some had), or had any relatives affected by a drunk driver (many had). There were many questions about each juror's relationships with law enforcement personnel and various officers of the court. I think that after mentioning a son who is a policeman, a father and sister who are attorneys, and my wife's uncle who is a judge on the 10th Circuit Court in Denver, that I may have overplayed my hand.

Some time during the four hour process, in between the questions, two nice ladies showed up with little brown envelopes with $18.50 in cash for each of us. Number 17 and I discussed the possibility of taking our reward and buying the defendant a drink and talking about the case.

Based on all of the questions asked and the respective responses, four jurors were chosen, none of which were numbers 17, 18, or number 19 who spent the whole morning drinking Mt Dew and eating Planters treats. I heartily recommend the experience to anybody, if for no other reason than to compare yourselves to a random eclectic gathering of concerned citizens. OK then.

7 comments:

The Gardener said...

Oh, man! I so would have loved to hear your story after you'd decided if he was guilty/not guilty. Think of what you could have blogged about if you'd gotten on the jury. I'm sad.....

Anonymous said...

So glad it ended up being a very benign experience. I ended up on a very messy case a few years ago that warped my impression of judges, prosecutors and juries in general. If I am called again I will plead whatever it takes to go free! Glad yours went well.

The Oregonians said...

Joe, you've got to blog more often. Great way with words.
Looks like it's time to do a remake of "Twelve Angry Men".

Jen Howick said...

I have avoided jury duty 3 years in a row now (due to being pregnant) but my excuses are now running out so I am sure I will have to actually show up the next time. I look forward to hearing those words, "Jury # so and so, you are dismissed." However, how is that some people get called over and over and many people never are?

laurel said...

Funny. I loved your story. I did jury duty years ago. I was selected.

Hey, on the 15th there is a CNY party at Circe's house, in Kaysville. She would love it if your family would come.

Unknown said...

You're lucky-the last time I was chosen for jury duty I ended up being empanelled! (Lucky for me--and the defendent--UHP in all of their glory royally screwed up their case and it got dismissed.)

Julie said...

This is hilarious.