Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Some Thoughts About Food Items


1. Tillamook Brand Marionberry Pie ice cream is sheer ambrosia. Julie served me some when I visited her recently. I had a big dish, and then another biggish dish a while later, and before bedtime the next evening I finished off the carton ("You don't mind, do you?" I said between slobbery spoonfuls). It's vanilla ice cream rippled with marionberry, which is nice and tart, PLUS chunks of pie crust, which add a salty, cookie-dough-like effect. Oh my, but it's tasty. I mourned when I left Julie's home. I was going to miss her, and I was going to miss Tillamook Brand Marionberry Pie ice cream, for I understood it was sold only in the Pacific Northwest. But WinCo Foods has recently debuted in these parts (WinCo as in Washington-Idaho-Nevada-California-Oregon) and darned if there isn't a panorama of Tillamook ice creams in the frozen food section. Marionberry Pie ice cream has been in our freezer ever since. I highly, highly, recommend it. This is also my niece Julia's favorite ice cream.





2. Today Emma and I had a discussion about repentance. I told her that all of us make mistakes, even grown-ups make mistakes, etc. Mommy makes mistakes all the time, for example. "Like the time you put ketchup on your hot dog instead of mustard?" she said solemnly. You see, Joe has carefully trained this child. She knows that nobody, I mean nobody, puts ketchup on a hot dog.


And if you don't believe me, take it from Clint Eastwood.



3. Speaking of ketchup, I admit to using it inappropriately in the past. When Joe and I were dating he was aghast to learn that I often ate frozen burritos with ketchup for dinner. But I grew up putting ketchup on Mexican food. There was no such thing as salsa in La Grande, Oregon, in the 60s. Mom fried up the tortilla shells in oil, we crammed them with hamburger, lettuce, and cheddar cheese and doused them with Heinz ketchup. And they were good, especially with cold milk. It wasn't until 1982 that I first encountered salsa. There's an entry in my journal that year after I had dinner at someone's house where they served chips with a "good, tomatoey kind of sauce."

4. I also remember my friend Genia telling me (circa 1974) about a really good new kind of chip-- "Nocko" Cheese Doritos.

5. And my first memory of ranch dressing is vivid. Frances Cooper brought us a quart jar of homemade ranch dressing (1970?) and we were...smitten. There really was a Hidden Valley Ranch, by the way. The internet says: "In 1954, Steve and Gayle Henson opened a dude ranch near Santa Barbara, California, and named it "Hidden Valley Ranch". As a side business, they sold to guests a special dressing that Steve had developed in Alaska. The dressing was popular, and they began selling bottles that guests could take home, and later opened a factory to sell packets of ranch seasoning that had to be mixed with mayonnaise and buttermilk (packets that are still available to this day). In 1972 the brand was bought by Clorox for $8 million."

So maybe it was 1972 when Frances Cooper brought over the quart jar. And having "Clorox" included in a description of ranch dressing is unsavory.

So enough food talk; on to the Emma pictures. But please do share your own random food-related bits of trivia. I think they're innaresting.

Emma pictures: We went for a walk along the Jordan River Parkway last night. Emma scampered. There she is in mid-scamper below.




And is it just me....or is she not just about the loveliest little girl in the entire known universe?

12 comments:

The Oregonians said...

She's certainly one of the 20 loveliest girls in the universe.
(According to my list.)

Food - how ice box dessert miraculously appears every father's day.

andrea said...

I remember the first (and only, so far) time that Forrest talked Andrew and I into tasting oysters on the half shell. I felt like I was on the Amazing Race performing a dare. Slimy and salty and slid right down.

Ang said...

So THAT's why we always had ketchup on our enchiladas when I was growing up. :-)

Food memory: I remember when we'd go to Grandma and Grandpa Hiatt's house when I was a little girl that Grandma would put milk in a glass pitcher for breakfast. I thought it was sooooo elegant.

Anonymous said...

Emma telling you to repent for putting ketchup on your hotdog is hilarious! I love her smile and yes, she IS one of the loveliest girls in the universe! (Along with my Em:)!

Barb said...

I'm heading to WynCo! I love salty in sweet. Emma looks radiant in that last photo!.

Food memories - Mom used to make Hidden Valley Ranch dressing from scratch and I've never tasted anything since that was as delicious - it included buttermilk.

I just had a breakfast burrito from DelTaco this morning and accidentally put ketchup on it instead of hot sauce - so funny you would write about ketchup. Emma's comment is hilarious. Dennis loves ketchup on everything.

I remember my first time tasting shrimp with cocktail sauce - I don't know if it was my birthday or dad's birthday, but we still lived in the funny little house so you were still sporting a top knot, and it was the cocktail sauce that knocked my socks off.

Thanks for the great post!
Love,
Barb

Curious George said...

P.S. - Did you artfully drape the black satin around the Marionberry Ice Cream?

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

It's actually nestled against one of our couch pillows. But I did want an attractive backdrop...

Sher said...

Emma is absolutely delightful and yes, one of the very most top loveliest girls in the universe. I miss her terribly. I so enjoyed our lunch together.

I don't know that your encounter with Frances and her ranch dressing was in 1972 because weren't you in Provo? (Such important facts...)

The first time I had Chinese food was with you, Denny... a Christmas vacation jaunt to LaGrande. We very importantly and grandly(?)dined at a Chinese restaurant where I promptly discovered I really did NOT like Chinese food but kept forcing it down because your mood was so jovial and I didn't want to put a damper on the evening. I think of you every time someone suggests we "do" Chinese.

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Must have been the Fong Cafe where we grandly dined, and I had no idea about the Chinese food aversion! Is that still the case? (And I believe we moved back to L.G. mid-'72?)

Julie said...

I'm so happy you love the Marionberry Pie ice cream. AND that you found it in Zion.

Last shot of Emma is fairly glowing with her beauty.

Food memories: Nastursium leaf sandwiches with mayo - Gekeler lane. mmmmm. Loved 'em. Mom's white divinity with nuts.

laurel said...

Seriously! The ice cream!! I love ice crea. I think of my self as a well tasted ice cream customer. Never heard of this one. I hang my head in shame!

Loved this post. Every bit of it! Love Emma's scamper! She is SO cute!!!

Julia Warren said...

No way! You found marionberry pie ice cream at WinCo in Utah? That may mean there is yet hope for me, if I just make a 20 minute jaunt out to the WinCo in Pomona. I love that you love it too.

Emma is the most darling thing!