Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Big Wedding, Etc.

I loved the pomp 'n' splendor of the Royal Wedding. Joe and I watched it live in the middle of the night (although he wasn't awake on purpose -- but since he was sleepless he sat up with me and made running commentary, a la Mystery Science Theatre 3000).

I loved the magnificent spectacle of it all. Who was in charge of this thing? I want to shake her hand. Every molecular detail of it was so excruciatingly just-so. Here are things I loved:

1. The clean streets and Union Jacks waving between spring-green trees.
2. Shiny cars.
3. Westminster Abbey. It's ONE THOUSAND years old. I read a wedding commentary that was complaining about the puny attempts at floral arrangements inside the church, but can you imagine even making a dent with flowers? They put live trees inside instead, which I thought were beautiful.
4. Kate's wispy thin veil.
5. And wispy thin waist. Good grief, did this girl starve herself? It did make for a lovely silhouette, but Kate, sweetheart, have a chocolate doughnut now. The pressure's off. (Actually, maybe it's not...poor thing.)
6. The boy sopranos in the choir with their ruffly collars and little spectacles and peachy complexions.
7. And the orchestra -- behind which pillar, post or vestibule was it squirreled away? Oh, it sounded wonderful. Wouldn't you love playing second violin in that group?
8. Seeing Elton John in the congregation singing the opening hymn (to the tune of "Guide Us O Thou Great Jehovah.")
9. The priest who gave the introduction in his round English tones, talking about bringing up children in the "fear and nurture of God" ("fia and nuhchuh")
10. William having a wee spot of trouble getting the ring on Kate's finger.
11. The fact that there was no wedding kiss inside the church (apparently deemed inappropriate) and no cheesey, "May I present to you...for the first time...the Duke and Duchess of CAMBRIDGE" (catcalls/whoops).
12. William's fast and goofy handwaves in the carriage.
13. Footmen!!

I didn't anticipate caring so much for the darn wedding, but it was just so cool to watch! Even the reruns are mesmerizing.

On the domestic front -- Emma snapped a pretty good photo of the new birds a few days ago



(l to r: Violet, Twinkle Toes -- and I know Violet isn't violet, but that is her name nonetheless)

And big news in the dental arena -- Emma's first tooth loss (this happened a couple weeks ago). We didn't even know she had a loose one till we went to the dentist recently and he discovered it. Emma was thrilled to have a loose tooth and wiggled it incessantly. A couple Sundays ago, after I went to a choir practice, she told Joe she wanted her tooth OUT, so he cleaned up the pliars and pulled it out and Em apparently made nary a squawk. Tooth fairy brought her a tootsie pop and two bucks.



Sayonara.

12 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

Awww, a toothless wonder, just like Eliza! So cute! But really, doesn't it seem like the teeth just got here and now they are falling out?!

Barb said...

Oh Denies, it gives me such joy to know that you got up in the middle of the night to watch this! I was feeling cheated because I wasn't caught up in the thing, and it's such a cheap thrill and they don't come along much (especially since the Jazz didn't even make the play-offs - what's a person to do when they're exhausted at 7:00 on a Wednesday night?). Now that I've heard about it from you I have given myself full permission to watch the re-runs on TMC! Congrats to Emma on losing her tooth too!
XO
Barbie

Marianne & Eddie said...

My favorite part of the wedding is that both you and Joe were up to watch it! That's great. I appreciated almost all of the same things you did. It was all just so beautiful, I've watched way too much coverage in the past few days.

And that was Rebecca McOmber in my picture! I love the random ties you have with her family. She's a great girl.

Andrea said...

Not even a word about that hats??

Sounds like Joe is ready for a career change--DENTIST! Let me know if he's ever looking for a good hygienist who is only licensed in AZ and lives in NC. :)

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

I did think about putting a link to a picture of Eugenie's hat. I thought it was a fright!

Nate said...

Emma's toothless picture is great! Two dollars..wow!! You were so motivated to get up and watch The wedding.

Anonymous said...

Emma looks so old with her tooth out! Oh my. Please tell her she must join me for lunch again SOON before she turns 17.

And the wedding... I somehow managed to avoid every lick of it, but due to your post I am feeling great remorse. I must YouTube it but am feeling certain it won't be quite the same.

Sher

KES Primary said...

Tooth fairy--$2 buck?!?! Don't tell my boys. Our Tooth Fairy must be really cheap! Love her picture. She's is growing up so fast!

KES Primary said...

Tooth Fairy -- $2 ?!?! Don't tell the Haynie boys. Our Tooth Fairy is really cheap! Cute picture of Emma. She's growing up so fast!

Circe said...

Just catching up on you! I loved the wedding, too. Looks like verything is going well for Joey/Denny/Emma! Take care!

Julie said...

Great recap of the wedding with your favorites list. I only watched the highlights found on major network news and on the internet. I wish I could have been in SLC, at your house, watching it with you in the middle of the night. I missed the boys' choir. I also loved "Jerusalem". Have loved it since "Chariots of Fire". Modern hat styles: Ugh.

laurel said...

Loved the wedding too.

Awesome toothlessness!!!!!!