Friday, November 03, 2006

Emma Loosens Up!





I think Emma has more than 14 teeth. We saw them all tonight after our stroll home from dinner. She suddenly turned on the smiles like a klieglight. Smiles AND giggles. Oh my, was that fun. She’s had a good day today. She’s been playing interactively with us a lot more and making more sounds (I don’t hear much that sounds like it’s Chinese; I might have heard her say “bu” – “no” – when I was wiping her nose today, and she was saying “mamamamama” this afternoon, but otherwise it’s pretty much generic toddler cooings and squawkings).

After breakfast (steamed egg, steamed Chinese cabbage – which she adores – cold oatmealy stuff, fried noodles, watermelon), we took a walk down to what someone told us was a Buddhist temple. Never did see the temple, or the Buddhists, but there were some pretty grounds and a statue and a host of people tremendously interested in us. I got a lot of it on video. (We’ll have to have a Chinese home movie night when we get home, make it a party, if any of you are interested.)
Later in the day we tried the swimming pool. Emma didn’t like that very much. Can’t say as I blame her; the water was pretty cold. We stayed in about, oh, five minutes.

She played and played in the hotel room in the late afternoon. Packing, unpacking, toddling around, dragging sacks of stuff around, blocks in, blocks out. I think Emma’s favorite things are: 1) Food, 2) Being strolled in her stroller down the streets of Wuhan City; and 3) Packing/unpacking.

Tomorrow we’re off to Guangzhou. Will post more later. Thanks, Angie, for helping us with Blogger!

Love,Denny

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

These pictures are even cuter than the last ones! She looks so happy. I think she's figuring out that getting the two of you as a mom and dad is a pretty good deal.
Love,
Cousin Ang

Anonymous said...

I can’t imagine the smiles and emotions that these pictures are bringing about to all of us that are totally addicted to this blog. Emma’s list of favorite things is identical to my grandkids list. The trick on the packing and unpacking, is to end with the packing part of the deal....good luck on that one. Thank you for the opportunity to be a fly on the computer screen wall of this blog. It has been an inspiring addition to my day
Love ,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, we're really happy for you. P.S. Amy posted the blog for you last time.

Eliza2006 said...

I love her beautiful smile! Everything seems to be going well. You are a lovely family.

Tiffany

Anonymous said...

I can't look at these latest pictures of Emma without smiling myself. I'm going to print them out and put them on my refrigerator!

For fun, I just scrolled down to one of the first postings of this odyssey, and looked at the picture where Denny is holding Emma and Denny is beaming, but Emma is holding on for dear life and looking extremely concerned. It's fun to contrast it with today's posting. Amazing to see her joyful reaction to this change in her world and that she is able to feel so secure after only 3 days. I can't imagine how you feel, Denny and Joe, knowing she is over the hump and able to share your love and joy. I'm so happy for all of you and will look forward to seeing our little movie star in person!

Love,
Barbie

Anonymous said...

She's a winner, and so are you guys. Your blog is the highlight
of our day. Sure beats packing up.
Love to you all

andrea said...

Yeah! We all knew the loosening up would happen, but the big question was how long it would take. I'm so happy that you're being rewarded with big smiles and giggles already.

Anonymous said...

Love the latest series of photos that are all smiles.

I can't wait to see the videos and more pictures and experience Emma herself, live and in person!

Julie

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are adorable! Emma looks so happy! If Angie reads this, ignore Dave's p.s. comment. I posted the last blog, but Angie did this one. It's a long story...but thanks still go to Ang for helping with this blog.

Anonymous said...

Denny and Joe: It is so good to see Emma past those first few days and now smiling and laughing. 3-4 days --- right on schedule! Now you will get to know the real Emma, and although I'm sure the temper/self-assuredness will still be there, it will be tempered by that happy, zany girl who's smile is adorning this blog now! You've got a winner!

Can't wait to hear about the plane ride to Guangzhou. Hope you're staying at the White Swam? If so, I want to know if your "Going Home Barbie" looks as much like you as mine did me!

Julia Warren said...

I love this little girl!