Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Outpost Guangzhou



.....Provisions running low...We haven't had any Fritos for about a week. We were then left with only bean dip, licorice, and beef jerky (teriyaki style). Have you ever tried eating bean dip with red licorice? How about bean dip and rice cakes? Not a pretty picture. We would have had some Jiff smooth peanut butter, but apparently according to our good friends at the TSA, it qualifies as a "gel." Right. If any of you are passing through security at the SL airport, check the breath of the screeners. If it smells of peanut butter, you have us to thank.

Denny and Emma are now in the deluxe play room here at the White Swan Hotel. All of the electronic toys have batteries, and work like new. I now have many familiar old tunes going through my head from many years ago, songs I haven't heard or thought of for years: "This Old Man, The Alphabet Song, Rock-a-bye Baby, and I Don't Give a Damn About a Green Back-a Dollar." But Emma seems to enjoy them, as do the other forty kids and parents in the play room.

I guess it is now official. We are the parents of a toddler. We were out to dinner with our adoption group a couple of nights ago, and the first thing everybody talked about was the kids' bathroom schedules. So much for the "Would you please pass the shrimp and sweet and sour pork?" Let's just skip the preliminaries and find out about the digestive tracts of everybody around the table. That's ok though. Emma's worth it. She's a sweetie. She can really work a room with her smile.

There is an appointment at the US embassy today at 11:00 AM, and the swearing in ceremony tomorrow (Thursday) afternoon. We have the amazing Judy Wu in our corner, fighting the red tape in both China and the US. She is doing a great job, a good part of which we never see. We signed some final paperwork last night, and she is now running with the ball, taking on all obstacles and barriers. You go Judy!

Our flight out is on Friday at 9:00 PM. We hope this bodes well for Emma going to sleep right off, and staying asleep for a good portion of the first 13 hour flight to LA. We will then get on a plane Saturday morning in LA to fly home to Salt Lake, and be there around 12:30 PM. We are not looking forward to the long flights, but getting back to home base will be nice. OK then.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does the beef jerky not work with the bean dip??? No PB at the 7-eleven across from the White Swan?
If you were staying longer, we'd send reinforcements, but in the blink of an eye you'll be home again.

Hey, that was pretty funny that part about Emma sleeping the first half of that 13-hr flight! Uh-huh.

I am with you on the songs. I used to think profound, deep thoughts. Now, when I wake up at 3 a.m. there is no need to have a pen/pad near my bed. All that runs through my head is "You put your right hand in...Oh, do the hokey-pokey....". Some days, if I"m really lucky, Ellen will ask to hear "She'll be comin' round the mountain" over and over all the way from our house to the U and back! I am blessed!

Enjoy your last few days in China!

Anonymous said...

We're going to have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch tomorrow in your honor. Have a safe trip home with our grand daughter. Lookin' forward to seeing you all soon.

Anonymous said...

if I stare at this latest exquisite picture of Emma much longer, I'm gonna' get busted by our MIS department and they'll write me up for non-productive time on-line visiting the "joeydennyemma" website!
thanks as always for everything.
Barbie

Anonymous said...

I'm with Barbie on the picture-staring! Luckily I didn't log on until I got home, so I'm still employed.