Wednesday, April 02, 2008

A Quick Trip to St. George

We took an overnight trip to St. George last Friday to visit two of Joe's sisters and help celebrate his dad's birthday. It was the first time we'd gone on an overnighter since Emma came home. Thanks to Aunt Boo Boo, our transportation arrangements were deluxe and we got to fly in a nifty little jet. 42 minutes from take-off to landing.
Emma looks a little travel-worn and we haven't even taken off yet. I talked up the plane ride quite a bit for a couple days before the trip. Also told her that we would be staying in a motel room with two beds and a swimming pool. She talked about the two beds quite a lot and also wore her swimming suit around the house all morning before we left, just to get in the mood. She did well on the short flight and liked zooming fast down the runway. When the plane lifted off the ground her eyes got big...then her brow furrowed and she said "Come back down??" But that was the only moment of consternation.

We went to Aunt Susan and Uncle Jack's for dinner. Joe's sis Laurie and her family were also in town after spending spring break in Moab. They live in Chicago and we don't get to see them very often.
We celebrated Joe's dad's 81st birthday. Emma was smitten with the Mrs. Backer's cake and managed to swipe her finger through the frosting just after this photo was taken.

I came down with a stomach bug Friday night. Yuckster. I hear it's going around. Hated getting sick during vacation. Plus Emma went from person to person at the birthday party and cheerfully announced "Mama throw up!" Her language skills really are getting quite good.


The next day I felt a little better. We drove to Snow Canyon and admired the red rocks...


...and the red sand. [Note: Some may say my legs look pasty; I prefer to call them alabaster.]

We visited the grounds of the St. George temple. So very peaceful and lovely.

Emma had a good time scampering around on the lawn and the steps.

It was a fun trip. Emma did great on her first overnight outing and it was wonderful to see lots of Joe's family.









8 comments:

Ang said...

Ooohh, a flight on a private plane? How fun and thrilling. I bet Emma loved it.

laurel said...

What a fun trip! Don't know if I could ride on the little plane. I am chicken. But it looked pretty fancy. Don't you just love Snow Canyon? One of our favorite spots. Emma is so cute. I bet she just loved the red sand!

Anonymous said...

Looks like such a fun trip. I am amazed Em did that well on a plane. Sounds like a dream, though...42 minutes from take-off to landing without the hassle! Emma looked like she was having a lot of fun at Snow Canyon:)

LB said...

How fun you guys! That red sand (dirt?) and warmth looked especially inviting...

Anonymous said...

That's the perfect length for a plane ride. We've flown from Denver so SLC at least 5 times with Jack and it's just a little over and hour flight and just a little too long. (-:

andrea said...

Ooo la la. A private jet? I'm SO impressed! Glad to hear Emma did so well. Let us know when you're ready to take her on a cross-country flight to see her cousins in NC. :)

I was SO jealous to see you sitting in the sand. When Andrew and I were at the Y and my parents still lived in AZ, we took LOTS of road trips down and I would often make him stop at a sand dune place along the way to just let me stick my feet in there. Loved it. When you're far from the beach, you gotta take what you can get.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Em this Saturday! Amazing your Em and my Em have birthdays that are so close together. Let's get the two Em's together sometime:)

Anonymous said...

I want a private jet.