Friday, April 25, 2008

More Birthday, Etc.

Emma is still fondly reminiscing about her recent birthday and often asks when she can "do another one." She found some birthday candles in a drawer and wanted to blow them out again, so we occasionally stick a candle in a piece of bread, light 'er up, and sing another chorus of happy birthday, just for old times' sake.
Here she is on her new set of wheels. Don'tcha love the new trike smell?

Blowing out the candles for real way back on April 12.

Random notes:

-I can't wait for the weather to get warm and stay warm. I'm weary of the late April snowstorms and am losing my fragile testimony of global warming. Guess I should be grateful for "the moisture."
-Emma had her 3-year-old checkup on April 14. She grew 2 inches in the last six months and gained a couple pounds. She's in the 79th percentile for height and 24th for weight ("Tall and slender," the doctor said; "A good kind of build to have." To which I say, "No kidding." ) She's very healthy, but the doc does want her to have a speech/language evaluation because she's hard to understand, and surprisingly he thinks it has nothing to do with her late start in English. (I disagree; I just think it's got to be hard to switch over at the age of 18 months from speaking CHINESE!! (!)--and she was indeed speaking some--to tackling English. I think it's been hard for her to learn all these new sounds. Plus, about the only thing he heard her say at the visit was "No shot!") Anyway, he's not terribly worried about it but said it can't hurt to have her checked, so she's going in for an evaluation with the school district in a couple weeks.
-Emma's going great guns with the potty training lately. I started offering stickers for each successful potty endeavor (10 stickers=1 viewing of "JoJo's Circus") and she took to that right away. She's known how to use the pot for some time; guess I just had to make it worth her while...
-I called Emma "My darling, my hamburger" the other day. Does anyone of my vintage remember that teenagey novel? It just slipped out of my mouth. Emma protested quite a bit. "I not hamburg! I Emma! Don't call hamburg!" She has reminded me NOT to call her "my hamburg" several times since then.

This was taken at her friend Jackson's recent birthday party [photo credit: Jackson's mommy, Jen]. I love that she's in midair. I'd call that "frolicking."


And Joe took this picture last week just after she'd fallen asleep. (I know, I know...where are her pj's. Sometimes she scoffs at them...) Anyway, isn't she...well...beautiful?? Sighh. We are blessed parents indeed.

Happy late April to you!




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great update, great photos. Anyone as much fun as Emma is (and who gets as much fun out of life as she does) should have a birthday anytime she wants one
"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, EMMA"
And she's right: She's a sweetie, not a hamburger.
Love to you all,
G&G Hiatt

andrea said...

So glad to hear the potty training thing is coming along. We're facing the overnight training struggles right now and it is NOT FUN.

I'm with ya--how could switching languages at 18 months NOT affect your speech development?

LOVED those last two pics.

Anonymous said...

Em looks so sweet sleeping and I love the mid-air picture! Our Em is still talking in one-word phrases. I also credit that to changing languages, cultures, parents, etc., just when they were getting into the swing of Chinese! Good luck with the potty training. We are going to start doing that soooooooooooooon!

laurel said...

She is so beautiful! I am so glad she enjoyed her birthday! I love her new hot wheels. Very cool!

Julia Warren said...

Emma is gorgeous! And I love that mid-air frolicking shot and the look of sheer joy on her face.

Ang said...

Oh, I love this post! The "My Darling, My Hamburger" thing made me laugh out loud. She's gorgeous and as smart as a whip. What a great kid.

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of Emma sleeping - I think it needs to be painted in oil or immortalized somehow! And I agree with you about the weather - and loved your "fragile" testimony of global warming comment!
Love,
Aunt Barbie

LB said...

DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!!! Great pics - but how can you go wrong with Emma as the subject???

Grandma Gerri said...

She is beautiful. I agree about the weather but my testimony of global warming is still all there.

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, I do indeed remember "my darling, my hamburger" but just the expression. I have no idea what the book is about. I'd say Emma has a strong sense of self. Ground beef, indeed.

Julie