Monday, October 30, 2006

Little Missy Em


Emma is sleeping in her pint-sized crib. It's been quite a day so far, and it's not over yet. We left for the White Rose Hotel at 10:30 this morning -- it was just a few blocks away. There was a big group of parents meeting their babies in one of the conference rooms and we thought we were going to stay in there to meet ours, but then Judy told us to come around the corner into another room and when I turned the corner I saw Emma walking through a door down the hall, holding her caregiver's hand. I knew it was her because I recognized her cute ears, but she has really grown up since those referral pics were taken. She looked pretty solemn and was checking everything out. I walked up and knelt down by her and talked to her a little bit, and then a couple minutes later picked her up. No tears (yet)...she was probably in shock from everything that's been going on. We had to go back in the big room and sign a couple of things and a few minutes later Emma starting looking around (probably for the woman from the orphanage who had brought her) and then started crying. Poor honey. She has a little bit of a cold, too, but it's not as bad as I thought it was at first.

We were able to come back to our hotel after a little while and we've been hanging out here ever since. Judy Wu talked to us a little bit more about her feeding/sleeping routine. She also said that when Emma's foster mom brought her to the orphanage (just yesterday), she said to make sure to tell us that Emma is "very smart." Emma seems to be curious and observant. She cocks her head and watches things going on around her very intently. She looks very healthy and I think she really might be left-handed. She has excellent fine motor skills and picks up pieces of paper carefully between her thumb and index finger...she also liked carefully picking cracker crumbs off my leg.

Joe got a big smile from her during lunch (congee, noodles and watermelon) when I had her on my lap and he fed her some noodles and then rubbed his stomach and said "mmmm". I missed it because she was facing the other direction.

She played on the bed for a while stacking up a piece of paper, a note card, her plastic teething ring (which she's been hanging on to the whole time) and a little doll -- then unstacking them, then stacking them, then unstacking them, then stacking them. At one point she realized that...hmmm, things are pretty weird today and I don't think I like it very much and she had a good, long cry and I did hear her say "mama," so she's missing foster mom. That's a good thing. I sense Emma has been very well taken care of.

She's now been asleep for about an hour.

Judy thinks Emma's potty trained. She's not wearing diapers and when we put her on the mini-potty she seemed right at home (but didn't do anything but sit). We shall see what the future holds in that regard...

So...we FINALLY have young Miss Emma and it's about time. Let the future begin!

More later.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Denny and Joe --

Emma is beautiful. I can't say any more, other than how happy we all are for you and Emma. Can't wait for play dates once you're home.

Anonymous said...

Emma is so cute! Yeah, we are thrilled beyond words for you three.
XOXO Haynie Boys SJJ

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful! We are so happy for you.

Anonymous said...

So, after the weekend how's Emma and her new mom and dad?
We are all so happy for the three of you.

Anonymous said...

YEA!!! She looks so much older than the previous pictures and very cute and sweet. I'm so excited for you!

Julia Warren said...

Yes! The first thing I did this morning was check for a post...and there she is! Little Em!

Anonymous said...

FINALLY! That seemed longer than waiting for a missionary. I'm so happy for you guys. That's funny she's left handed. She'll fit right in. Can't wait for your return. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

What a thrill to come to your blog and see Emma! She's gorgeous. Can't wait to hear more.
p.s.--For some reason I'm having trouble posting, so if this post shows up 12 times, you'll know why!

Anonymous said...

She is absolutely ADORABLE and your description of her first few hours with her are great. As with most others, we headed for the computer first thing this morning and checked your blog. We're hanging on every word and picture.
Thanks so much for letting us all share in this marvelous experience.
Give Emma lots of hugs, kisses, and squeezes for us.
PS - Way to go, Joe; you made her laugh. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Oh Denny and Joe, I can't believe it. She is so beautiful. Bless her heart. And she carefully picks cracker crumbs off your leg! That is so cute!

Congratulations, mom and dad! My prayers are with you.

Hope things go smoothly. Are you saying any Chinese phrases to her? Does she respond to them? What does she say? - if you can spell it phonetically.

Just think, a year from now she'll be able to say mom, dad, dog, Annie....and probably antidisestablishmentarianism

LOTS OF LOVE GOING OUT TO YOU FROM VANCOUVER USA TO YOUR BEST WESTERN QUARTERS IN CHINA!
Aunt Julie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the three of you! We wish you a wonderful journey together!

andrea said...

She is SO pretty. I am so excited for you guys and can't wait to meet her. Thanks for all the great updates. It has been wonderful to share in your adventure.

Anonymous said...

It is so fun to see little Emma! I think she just may be the luckiest little girl in the world! What a doll.

Carol said...

She is so beautiful. I can't wait to meet her in person.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on meeting your daughter for the very first time! She is indeed a beauty! You don't know me, but I was drawn to your site through a list of blogs/web sites of families currently in China. Believe it or not, fate must have brought me to your site! Sheila and John are my sister and brother in law! It's been very heartwarming reading your blog with my mother. We feel like we are there with you and Sheila and John. My husband and I are anxiously awaiting our referral as we are also adopting from China. Best to you on the rest of your journey! Send our love to Sheila, John and Lydia!

Chris (Sheila's sister) & Janet (Sheila's step mom)

Michelle said...

She is so beautiful! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Joe and Denise,
I smiled, I cried! I can't wait to meet her in person. As I said before she looks like a Haynie already! Aunt Suzette

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I"ve waited this long to look at your blog site. I didn't even know what a blog was so I had anxiety about checking the whole thing out. What a fool I've been! Denise, you should publish this! I've been on the edge of my chair reading every word. How can anyone make even a long flight sound so interesting? What a talent you have, and Joe isn't so bad, either. The pictures are great. You must call your publisher immediately!
Emma is absolutely beautiful. We can hardly wait to meet her. From the looks of things, she has quite a fan club already waiting. Keep the blogs coming...I think I've overcome my blog anxiety and will be checking in lots! Aunt Susan