Thursday, October 19, 2006

Today's Featured Outfit




Emma got a delectable outfit in the mail this week from Aunt Julie in Vancouver, WA. Oh the pinkness! Julie also sent a purse she made for Emma at Enrichment Meeting. It's made out of a placemat (and Julie experienced a ladybug sighting when she was buying the trimmings for it; she found one on her shoulder in the notions department. Another cosmic ladybug moment!)

We went to the store tonight and bought the following for the trip:
- Winnie the Pooh coverall bib (it has sleeves!)
- Six baby washcloths
- Four soft-bite spoons
- Two pacifiers
- Strawberry smoothie shampoo for toddlers
- Baby comb and brush
- First aid kit
- Orajel tooth and gum cleaner
- Thermometer
- Children's Tylenol
- Children's Benadryl (also referred to as "travel vitamins" by our agency director)

I bought a little round travel brush for myself but then got it caught in my hair when I came home and practiced with it. Andy's fiancee, Kathryn, spent 10 minutes detangling me.

On Tuesday I met with the nice grad student at the U who taped some Chinese phrases. Some of the phrases I'm learning are:
- Ni hao ke ai (you're so cute)
- Ni shi hao hai zi (you're a good kid)
- Ni e la ma (are you hungry?)
- Xiao xin (Be careful)
- Guo lai (Come here)
- Wo lai bao bao (Let me hug you)
- Guai (sweetie)
- Wo ai ni (I love you)

Hua wrote down all of these phrases using different accent marks to indicate which of the four Chinese tones you use when you say them. It's really helpful to have them taped, as well. She also taped the correct pronunciation of Emma's Chinese name, Qi Jia Yan (sounds like Chee Jyah-Yen).

We leave in five (5) days. Depart SLC Tuesday at 4:00 for LA, to catch the big ol' flight to Guangzhou.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing.
Ni shi hao hai zi.
Xiao xin.
Wo ai ni. (Make that "We.."
Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

I loved buying all the baby stuff (like combs and washcloths) before we had Jack. I'm so excited for you guys. It's getting so close. Cute purse, Julie.

Anonymous said...

ditto to the other two comments
xo
barbie

Ang said...

It's going to be so fun checking your blog while you're in China. I bet you can't believe it's finally here!
And cute outfit AND purse!

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you! The dress and purse are so adorable. Be careful with the Benadryl. It sometimes wires kids instead of making them sleepy.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to buy every 18 mo. and 2T pink item in the store. This is too much fun.

Anonymous said...

Going to bed right now. I just had a lady bug siting! There is a lady bug on the ceiling of our kitchen on the eve of Denny and Joe's departure to get Emma. Tom says: "A propitious omen!" He would say something like that now, wouldn't he.

God be with you, Denny and Joe.